Beer styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
I'm quite new to beers on the whole - up until a month or two, all that really existed in my mind was Lager, Ale and, well...Guiness.

So, can somebody point me in the right direction to learn what's what? IPAs, Bitters, Heiserwhat're they called?

I've been reading up on the styles, and it's hard to get an idea of the differences between them - it's more stories. interesting to read of course, but still leaving me guessing.

for the record, all I Really know about lagers is that they all taste the same!

Take those resources, pick a style, and go buy a couple top rated examples of the style. Compare what you taste to the descriptions you read.

Congrats, you've got some drinking to do.

Drinking them will give you a good idea,How to brew online has descriptions,Joy of homebrewing book, even look into ratebeer or beer advocate for specific beers.

my wife bought me a book for $1 when Borders went out of business it was called the "Naked Pint". It was written by 2 women and is kind of humorous, but it gives a good overall description of beer in general and the different styles.

The BJCP guidelines is the best way to read about it. At the end of each section are commercial examples of each style. Try to pick up singles of those and try them.

Jamil Zainescheff's Brewing Classic Styles is a recipe book, but gives very good descriptions of each beer. I highly recommend this book.

Finally, Jamil also has audio podcasts on the Brewing Network covering ever beer style ( The Jamil Show ). It's an impressive body of work covering several years. The podcasts are entertaining and informative. I believe I've listened to every one of them.

The BJCP guidelines is the best way to read about it. At the end of each section are commercial examples of each style. Try to pick up singles of those and try them.

Jamil Zainescheff's Brewing Classic Styles is a recipe book, but gives very good descriptions of each beer. I highly recommend this book.

Finally, Jamil also has audio podcasts on the Brewing Network covering ever beer style ( The Jamil Show ). It's an impressive body of work covering several years. The podcasts are entertaining and informative. I believe I've listened to every one of them.

This post says everything I was going to say. Then goes into 2 more paragraphs. I agree with what he said.

When i started brewing, i thought the only difference in beers were light and red and dark. then i started to pay attention to the beers i bought. most beers will have a label with some sort of marking on them. Style, flavor, IBU, Alc, BYOB. etc.

then i started to research diffences in beer. the others that have put in their $.02 have started you in the right direction. Read and research. read as much as you can on beer style and research by buying a different 6-pack when you hit the store.

#1 RULE when we brew: Bring a 6-pack of beer you have never tried before and be willing to share with the group.

this has made brew parties fun and educational.

cheers chaps, this is great! just what I needed. a trip to the supermarket may be at hand then...i've had a few beers in my time, but not really payed much attention to anything but the overall taste. thanks! :)

Latest posts

Back