Beer Smith Conversion Tool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Netflyer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using the Beer Smith conversion tool and taken a proven extract recipe and turned it successfully into a grain recipe? I ran the tool on one of my proven extract recipe and it looks to have converted it really nicely but I was wondering if anyone here has tested it?

Thanks!

Yeah, I've done it and it works well. I pretty much always tweak mine, because what was nice round measurements is now some horrible decimal. I mostly just 'round out' the measurements.

So just pick a 'base grain' that makes sense for the style you are converting too I'd imagine, no surprises? Like if I use light LME I can use Maris Otter, or Pale, etc. A little 5.2 and I'm off to the races, eh? Sounds good, I'll give it a go
:mug:

Does this conversion tool work the other way in converting AG to Extract?

I regulary use the conversion tool in BeerSmith and it's amazing. I have a question tough.

I'm usually using the tool to convert AG to PM since I don't have the proper equipment to do AG. When doing the conversion, it looks like BeerSmith decide automatically how much grains are substitutes for extract.

Since I only have the equipment to mash about 2.5-3 lbs of grains, is there somewhere where I can ask BeerSmith to not keep more than this amount of grains when converting ?

Thanks !

I regulary use the conversion tool in BeerSmith and it's amazing. I have a question tough.

I'm usually using the tool to convert AG to PM since I don't have the proper equipment to do AG. When doing the conversion, it looks like BeerSmith decide automatically how much grains are substitutes for extract.

Since I only have the equipment to mash about 2.5-3 lbs of grains, is there somewhere where I can ask BeerSmith to not keep more than this amount of grains when converting ?

Thanks !

I haven't found it. I usually have to tweak it manually the opposite direction (I can do a bigger partial mash). I just keep the percentages the same and make sure the color estimate is still correct.

Eric

I haven't found it. I usually have to tweak it manually the opposite direction (I can do a bigger partial mash). I just keep the percentages the same and make sure the color estimate is still correct.

Eric

Yeah, this is exactly what I'm doing at the moment. But I thought that maybe there was an option to setup the conversion options.

Thanks anyway, I'll continue to manually tweak the conversion.

I still recommend to anyone to buy this software. At first I was wondering why people would spend money on this but now I totally understand. 100% satisfied customer.

Back