Beer slushies!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richardwhittaker

Reaction score
I built my own keg cooler using a widow AC unit.. I decided to control the tep with a timer 6 min every 2 hours seemed to keep the Temp within 5C. as I had a lager on the go I wanted to keep the cooler on the cold side so it was swinging between 2C and 7C. Yesterday I made some adjustments to the insulation.... This morning before work I found that the temp was 3C about 1 1/2 hours after the last cooling cycle. I did not have time to do anything about it before work, now after dinner and dishes I decided to check things out. when I looked in the cooler i noticed frost on the side of the keg. I gave it a little shake. It sloshed but did not splash So I opened the Keg and this is the sight that greeted me

BEER SLUSHY
DSC016721.JPG

Some advice from someone who has gone through this. Pull the kegs out into the ambient room temperature to defrost completely. IF they were on co2, they are probably now over carbed. Its worth it to decarb by pulling the release valve afew times over the next few days or shaking and releasing. Then recarbing as usual.

I recently made a "Double Eis-PA" by accidentally freezing my keg, i liked it so much I bottled it while the top was still slushy.

A local brewery actually served some of their award winning stouts and fruit beers in actual slushie machines at one of the local beer fests this summer. I wasn't a huge fan, since it did take away some of the flavoring of those beers, but it was a cool gimmick!

Back