Beer Recipe Spreadsheet Template

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbutler21

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I put together a beer recipe spreadsheet to help me keep track of some items on brewing day and wanted to share it. I did this for a couple of reasons:

1. I usually end up scaling my recipes to 1, 2.5 or 3 gallon recipes and wanted an easy way to do this without getting into the "profiles" I was using in BeerSmith (maybe someone knows an easier way of doing it, but I couldn't find one).
2. Because I'm making small batches, I often change my units from lbs. to kg or oz. to g and wanted to include that in my documentation for an easy brew day.
3. I wanted to better understand what was happening inside the calculations.

Now, it's possible that my spreadsheet is not entirely accurate in it's calculations, but I feel like I have a much better idea of what's going on in the math.

So, the Excel template attached allows you to enter a recipe title, author, source, if it came from a website or book, and a batch size. Additionally, if you'd like to scale the recipe, just enter the new volume in the "Scale to" cell.

It has a place to enter all of the data for your grain bill, your mash rests, your hopping schedule and your yeast and fermentation schedule. Initially the 1st amounts are "highlighted" to make it easier to locate on brewing day, but if you chose to scale the recipe or convert to a particular unit, the respective column will be highlighted and the others subdued. This helps me alleviate some of my brewing day errors by reading the wrong columns.

All math is computed in a hidden "Data" sheet, and populates in the summary at the top. Additionally, I've included a notes section at the bottom. Instructions are included in the columns to make it dummy proof (hopefully...)

I'm not sure the math is 100% correct. I've ran it a few times with recipes from some books and had good results though. If anyone runs some tests on it, please let me know your findings and I'll try to make updates.

Hope everyone enjoys and finds it useful. Attached below is a link to the template itself, as well as a JPG of what it prints like.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6potf3wlom05r2u/Beer_Recipe.xltx?dl=0

Beer Recipe Sheet.jpg

Awesome utility. I too use Beer Smith, and wish there was an easier way to scale the recipes. Thank you for sharing this! Should be a sticky.:mug:

Thanks for the feedback. Let me know if you run into any questions or issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back