Beer Recipe Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salanis

Reaction score
Any suggestions on good, inexpensive beer recipe calculator software? I've been using the Beer Tools demo, and it seems quite good, but I'm not sure about spending $30 on it.

Any suggestions on other good software that isn't as expensive? Or maybe even free?

true, you have to watch the nasties that download also. i'm a 20-year computer tech, though and the nasties just can't get through to me the way i'm locked down :p

I use Beer Smith, you can buy the download version for around $18 from Rebel Brewer and it's worth it. There's a demo version if you want to use it: Beer Smith Demo

I just wanted to add that my brewing software is probably my most used brewing tool. You can fool around and make recipes when you're not actually brewing, and it stores other things like what equipment you have, what grains you have in stock, the price of grains and adjuncts, water profiles, shopping list, brewing instructions...all kinds of crazy stuff that I'm still figuring out...

I really like BeerTools Pro and feel it's really worth the $30. It takes a bit of getting used to, but is pretty powerful. Inventory control is good. I just did a complete re-inventory of all my ingredients. I love to drop different recipes in the 'Planned' folder and see how my inventory matches the ingredients. When I brew, you tell it to deduct the ingredients from the inventory. You can set up multiple recipes and get a shopping list for any or all of them.

You already know the software from the free trial, but sometimes the features can be less obvious. Reading the BeerTools forum has helped me understand and utilize many of the features. Our own BobbyM has links on the BT forum to videos on calibrating BT for your heat sources and equipment.

Also lets remember we need to support those who support our passion for making beer. Spend the little money and buy the program you desire. I use Beersmith and love it. Don't get me wrong. We all download some things but I buy when I want to support the artist, company, etc.

I've heard great things about ProMash and have purchased it based upon reviews. Next time I brew I'll post my own review. :D

Compared to Beersmith, HBD Recipator is relatively simple. But it only does the
recipe. You have to decide on the size, water, etc. It computes the IBU, SRM,
alcohol pct, OG, SG.

Its web based, though you can save recipes on your computer, or post them to the
group (hopefully after tasting.)
http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator

Back