Beer: Power Lunch Of The Future?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbrothas

Reaction score
Found this in my Biology Book. Proof that beer is good. If only my teacher required me to research beer I could have graduated a long time ago.

"Wait a minute!!! You mean to tell me that drinking beer may be healthy for me?" exclaimed college sophomore Seth Andreas. "All this time, I thought beer was bad for me! I can't wait to tell my parents that beer may boost my vitamin B6 level. They always claim the glass of red wine they drink each night is good for their hearts; maybe beer is even better. Yahoo!"

Seth had become interested in the use of vitamins as supplements while taking human physiology with his favorite instructor, Dr. Tee. She had made him aware that vitamins have various functions in metabolic pathways. While doing a research paper, Seth stumbled upon an article in the April 29, 2000, issue of The Lancet, a well-respected medical journal. The article described the research of Henk Hendriks and colleagues at the TNO Nutrition and Food Research Institute in Zeist, Germany. In a three-week trial, these researchers found that vitamin B6 blood concentrations rose 15% and 17% in wine and gin consumers, respectively, and a whopping 30% in beer drinkers.

Seth continued his research into beer and nutrition and found another study in a 2001 issue of the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Although the experimental design was different from that used in the previous study (diet was not factored in), the results also showed that drinking beer led to increased vitamin B6 levels. In addition, several beer companies’ websites report that 2 pints of beer provide 35% of the daily requirement of vitamin B6, 20% of vitamin B2, and 65% of niacin.

Seth wondered if he should start having lunch at the local brewpub from now on and skip his usual power lunch at the Smoothie Prince. :mug:

Mayer Jr., O., J. Simon, and H. Rosolova. 2001. A population study of the influence of beer consumption on folate and homocysteine concentrations. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 55(7).

The title of the OP should be revised
"Beer: Power lunch of the past makes a come back"

It did build the pyramids ;)

Latest posts

Back