Beer planning for trip - Am I rushing this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crispyvelo

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm going to hit you up with a number of questions, so please bear with me....

Current equipment and vessel status
- Kegged Centennial Blonde on 6/2 @ 30PSI, then dropped it to 12PSI on 6/4.
- I've got a Mini fridge with space for 1 bucket/carboy/keg (currently being occupied by the Centennial Blonde).
- My regulator is a dual valve, but they have to be set at the same pressure.

Question 1 - How long do I need to keep the blonde hooked up at 12PSI? At some point am I able to turn the gas off and it will stay at that?

Question 2 - If possible I'd like to bring TWO kegs on my upcoming road trip to a family reunion (6/11-6/20). Is that possible giving the timing of my second brew (see details below).

Brew: Three Floyds Gumballhead
Brew Date: 5/25
Primary: 5/25-6/2 (8 Days)
Secondary + dry hop: 6/2-today (currently 5 days...)
OG: 1.05 (because I had terrible efficiency...arg)
FG: 1.004

Question 3, and 4, and 5... - How should I handle this brew? Do you think I should try and bring it, or is that rushing things? If I'm going to bring it, what should my process be over the next couple days? Cold crash for a day, rack into the open keg, force carb it @30psi for a couple days, then reconnect the Centennial back and turn both on at 12psi? Should I just leave this thing alone until I get back?

Thanks!
Chris

I just did something like this with an IPA. Granted, IPAs are sort of easier to "rush" things along with since you drink them as fresh as possible.

I think you'll be ok though. You let it ferment for 2 weeks. Did you up the temp at all during the last 3-4 days of fermentation? In my experience that can help clean things up faster.

What I would do is taste the beer. If there's no off flavors, like it's still fermenting or a diacetyl taste, then I'd just go with it. It's hard to rush beer but if it's done then it's done. Having it be on gas for a couple days will help it mellow a bit. Your process theory sounds good to me for what you're trying to do given the equipment you have and the time restraints.

As for your centennial blonde... If it were me I'd give it 20 psi when I was about to unhook it and put it in a bucket with some ice water while the other beer is cold crashing. I did this before I got an extra fridge. It was a pain to keep it cold but I used a little bit of salt in the ice water and it kept it colder for longer and never really had any quality issues.

Of course you could just leave the wheat beer there and deal with it when you got back to avoid any added stress. :) Or you could bring a growler of the centennial blonde or bottled a 12er from the keg or something.

Thanks for the advice! Do I need to keep the centennial blonde cold? If I take it on the road trip it will be in a completely packed car and probably wedged in on its side at room temp. Logistically there's no other way.

Kegged beer is just like a can at that point. Just keep it under pressure on your trip and let it get cold and settled down before you tap it. You should be ok.

Kegged beer is just like a can at that point. Just keep it under pressure on your trip and let it get cold and settled down before you tap it. You should be ok.

So what's the reason for boosting it to 20PSI before unplugging the gas? Is that because it hasn't been on 12PSI for two weeks yet?

So what's the reason for boosting it to 20PSI before unplugging the gas? Is that because it hasn't been on 12PSI for two weeks yet?

I would do that just to keep the carbonation at a level that I like to drink lighter beers at since it's not going to be hooked up to the gas for a period of time. I'm not sure how long you're going to be in the car for.

I would do that just to keep the carbonation at a level that I like to drink lighter beers at since it's not going to be hooked up to the gas for a period of time. I'm not sure how long you're going to be in the car for.

We'll be in the car for 3 days, but I'll have to disconnect it for a couple more that than while I'm force carbing the Gumballhead.

We'll be in the car for 3 days, but I'll have to disconnect it for a couple more that than while I'm force carbing the Gumballhead.

Yea, id give whatever you're not carbing a liitle more c02 while its disconnected but you'll be ok no matter what. Some might disagree, or have another method, but I know I'd be ok doing what we've described. Just keep the kegs under a little pressure, especially if they're already carbed, and you'll be fine. Obviously a little more psi if the beer isn't carbed yet. Good luck bud.

Back