Beer on my ceiling!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cromacster

Reaction score
I bottled a Lakefront Brewery Bridgeburner Partial Grain Kit from Northern brewer.

Brew day went well, fermentation seemed normal (although very vigorous).

The problem arose during the bottling stage. I bottled in 1L bottles with table sugar doing 5/8 cup in 2 cups of water mixed with 5 gallons of beer.

The bottles have very high amounts of carbonation. The first bottle I opened lost about half to foaming. I've had a few good bottles that seemed more normal, almost more champagne like though. Then recently I had a bottle that hit the ceiling when I opened it. Beer everywhere, it sucked.....but was actually pretty damn hilarious.

Any thoughts on what is causing this? Was it just to much sugar?

Could be that the priming sugar didn't diffuse well in the bottling bucket. Did you add the priming sugar in gradually as you transferred the beer out of the fermenter into the bottling bucket?

What was your FG when bottling? How did you mix the sugar solution into the beer? That isn't a whole lot of sugar for 5 gallons, so it doesn't seem overprimed.

It could be it was bottled too early (before hitting terminal gravity), priming sugar wasn't mixed thoroughly, an infection, etc.

Back