Beer not very carbonated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDance

Reaction score
Hi HBT!
I have a blueberry blonde that is in bottles and has been for 2 weeks now. While the flavours are coming along nicely and mellowing, the carbonation isn't.
I used a priming calculator (http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator) and followed the amounts precisely.
The temperature is, and has been, a constant 18C/64F
Is this warm enough to allow the yeast to do its thing?
If not, is it possible after 2 weeks to move the beer to a warmer room and continue its carbonating? Or is the yeast effectively "asleep" now and done? Would I have to swirl the bottles to get the yeast throughout the beer again and "wake" it up?
It's not the biggest problem because the beer is tasting fine, but I do prefer a more bubbly beer. Especially this type. And it would be nice to know if there is a fix to this issue.
Thanks in advance!

I usually let bottles go quite a bit longer than 2 weeks, especially in cooler temperatures. Rousing and moving to a warmer area can't hurt. I bet they'll be fine in another week or two.

Another thought: Did you stir the priming sugar solution in? Sometimes sugar can get unevenly distributed leaving some bottles a little under carbonated and some extra carbonated.

I usually let bottles go quite a bit longer than 2 weeks, especially in cooler temperatures. Rousing and moving to a warmer area can't hurt. I bet they'll be fine in another week or two.

Another thought: Did you stir the priming sugar solution in? Sometimes sugar can get unevenly distributed leaving some bottles a little under carbonated and some extra carbonated.

Thanks @JonM
I'm planning on leaving for at least another week or two. I'm just doing "quality control" checks each week to see how it's coming along. Not a lot of change in carbonation, if any, since last week.
And I did stir in the priming solution.

@JonM just an update...
As of March 17, carbonation is coming along very well. Seems a bit bitter, but just the first couple mouthfuls. After that, very easy drinking.
Must be the blueberries making that bitterness.

might need to have it a bit warmer. I know I had issues with batches carbonating and it was because the temp was a bit low where I was storing them. one thing I would do though would be to gently tip the bottles upside down and back to stir up the beer. After that, it would still take a week or 2. The longest it took me to get a batch to carbonate was about 6 weeks. Beer turned out fine, just took forever to get the right level of carbonation. The other thing I found out is once you want to try one, keep the bottle in the refrigerator for 3 or more days, then give it a try. I would normally leave it in the refrigerator for a week though.

might need to have it a bit warmer. I know I had issues with batches carbonating and it was because the temp was a bit low where I was storing them. one thing I would do though would be to gently tip the bottles upside down and back to stir up the beer. After that, it would still take a week or 2. The longest it took me to get a batch to carbonate was about 6 weeks. Beer turned out fine, just took forever to get the right level of carbonation. The other thing I found out is once you want to try one, keep the bottle in the refrigerator for 3 or more days, then give it a try. I would normally leave it in the refrigerator for a week though.

Yeah, I tipped them upside down and warmed it up. Carbed up fine now[emoji106]🏻

Latest posts

Back