Beer Names ugh!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boscobeans

Reaction score
Beer Names ??

There is post in the regular brew boards about Goat Scrotum Ale.

If it tastes anything like its name. Ugh.

It may be just that I'm getting up there in years, but I'd rather drink something named winter holiday ale or somethig other than Goat Scrotum.

How about sticking to names that at least hint at the style or flavor and not try to use double entendre, gross names or other shock value hype.

Nut brown ale is fine...It is descriptive, but something like swollen nuts dark discharge is going a little too far in my opiion..

Tends to add credulity to that schmuck in the TV ad with fermenters full of guts and other crap..

Sorry, It must be a culture thing, but it sometimes ticks me off..

OMO

bosco

I personally love crazy names. For me it's not about shock value, it's just about creativity. If the creativity of my beer names reflected the creativity that went into designing the beer I'd have some awesome names. As it is I have absolutely no creativity other than for designing beer and my brother can come up with the names.

I guess I just don't get it. It's the same concept as passing on a beer based on the label design/art, which I find to be a very close minded practice. As my last CO was fond of saying, "The proof is in the pudding." Not his phrase, obviously, but he used it to the point of excess to impress upon us that results are what counted, not what you saw on the surface.

Goat Scrotum Ale is actually a recipe by Charlie Papazian that I have made a couple times. I know this doesn't make the name any less disturbing but it is the father of modern homebrewing we are talking about.

In contrast, and equally disturbing...

Generic-Beer-Cans-Self-Opening-10-12oz-August-Schell-Brewing-Company_44822-1.jpg

Goat Scrotum Ale is actually a recipe by Charlie Papazian ............ it is the father of modern homebrewing we are talking about.

With all respect to Mr. Papazian, by his own words it could be considered to be a brew with "everything but the kitchen sink," which is more descriptive and sounds a heck of a lot more palatable. :) LOL

bosco

In contrast, and equally disturbing...

Generic-Beer-Cans-Self-Opening-10-12oz-August-Schell-Brewing-Company_44822-1.jpg

that is quite disturbing, indeed.

as for the "crazy names", I suppose it'll be more for me & the rest of us not scared of a name. hahaha!! the craft beer market has become flooded with every small brewery's offerings. if they want their beer to sell, they have to find a way to stand out. just as people will pass over a perfectly great beer because of its' name, people continue to buy perfectly great beer because of its' name. if you want to pass over a beer on account of the name, that's your prerogative.

I have had a lovely meal at the one and only Kabob Cafe in Astoria, Queens that included goat's testicles with onions, spices, and summer squashes. I'll agree that I would prefer that an ale not be made of them, but I will say they were delicious...

There was another thread recently, where the OP was objecting to the name "Moose Drool." I don't se the problem with the name "Goat Scrotum," nor "Pig's Ass, Moose Drool," etc...

Now that having been said, if someone names a brew "Hot French Semen, Skunk Ass," or "Dick Drool," I don't care what it actually is, I ain't drinking it. I guess it's all about just where each individual draws their own personal line they don't want to cross; it's going to be a little different for everybody.
Regards, GF.

There was another thread recently, where the OP was objecting to the name "Moose Drool." I don't se the problem with the name "Goat Scrotum," nor "Pig's Ass, Moose Drool," etc...

Now that having been said, if someone names a brew "Hot French Semen, Skunk Ass," or "Dick Drool," I don't care what it actually is, I ain't drinking it. I guess it's all about just where each individual draws their own personal line they don't want to cross; it's going to be a little different for everybody.
Regards, GF.

Yep. This one is nasty. I can't imagine putting that on a beer bottle. If there is any doubt about what's going on here, read the text on the right.

vas_deferens.jpg

LOL "Vasectomy Ale." :eek:
Think I'll pass on that one. Though I'll have to admit "Spermcount Stout" sounds like a funny, yet dubious name for a brew; don't know if I'd drink that one either, but I'd certainly giggle over the name & wonder how the brew came to be named that. Wait, maybe I should rephrase that...
Regards, GF.

I find many of the names funny. Yes, some are a bit disturbing, but they reflect the disturbed brewer. I think with the Vas example a minute ago the picture is far more disturbing than the name. However, it almost sounds like some would want a nomenclature version of the Beer purity laws. Home brewing and craft brewing are about freedom to brew what you like. I think that should extend to naming as well. If you pick by name, choose only those that sound appropriate. If you choose by picture, go for it. I have a Scottish Ale that I am thinking of naming Queen's Quim. Problem is, I can't decide if I should infect it with bugs or simply leave it full of yeast.

I actually make it from the parti-gyle of a Wee Heavy. I think since they are quite the pair: a Wee Heavy and a 70/-, I might name them "The King's Caber" and "the Queen's Quim." I don't know, but just feel they go together somehow. ;)

Funny thing is I had an efficiency problem so the second was very low. I added more hops than I should have for the actual gravity, and then about 20 minutes later decided to add Brewer's Sugar to the boil to push up the gravity. So, it should be bitter and dry. I really should have thought of the sugar before adding the hops, but I didn't think Fuggles would get that strong.

Op, i find those kind of names off putting as well. I would never buy it. But this is coming from someone who names beers riveting things like brown ale #4.

A lot of its cultural, you know? I don't find it offensive at all, but I don't get all the devil imagery that seems to be very appealing to some homebrewers. Or dogs. Devils and dogs seem to be very high on the list of homebrewers, I think they're fine, but it probably wouldn't occur to me to use either.

My ex-wife ask me to brew her a beer a couple of months ago, she paid for the stuff and I brewed for her (it was an IPA) and I call it Bitter ***** good thing she is clueless about english.

A lot of its cultural, you know? I don't find it offensive at all, but I don't get all the devil imagery that seems to be very appealing to some homebrewers. Or dogs. Devils and dogs seem to be very high on the list of homebrewers, I think they're fine, but it probably wouldn't occur to me to use either.

I'm gonna make labels of dogs riding piggy back on devils now. :drunk:

Back