Beer in gas line-how can this be

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cohni

Reaction score
Ok I have beer in my gas lines the gas dip tube is no where near beer in the keg. How can this get in the lines especially with psi pushing gas into keg???? And I have never shaken or even tilted keg where beer would even get near gas side dip tube.
Please help.

Are you sure you have the lines hooked up to the correct posts?

Or that you didn't inadvertantly swap the dip tubes when you cleaned the keg and posts?

I ask those questions because when I first started kegging I screwed up the posts. You can cross-connect at least one of the lines to where it will work, though I couldn't get the other one to work.

One of those mistakes I've never made again. :)

Checked. No they are hooked up correct. And in fridge at 39 deg
Keg is 80% empty. Worked great till
I’ll clean lines and see if it ever happens again.
Just don’t make since how it got in the gas lines

Are you sure you have the lines hooked up to the correct posts?

Or that you didn't inadvertantly swap the dip tubes when you cleaned the keg and posts?

I ask those questions because when I first started kegging I screwed up the posts. You can cross-connect at least one of the lines to where it will work, though I couldn't get the other one to work.

One of those mistakes I've never made again. :)

I did however disconnect a week ago turn regulator up to seal another keg. Then purged and and reset psi and reconnected ???
Could this have clouded that????

I did however disconnect a week ago turn regulator up to seal another keg. Then purged and and reset psi and reconnected ???

Sorry for the typo. Could this have caused that???

If the other keg you were sealing was full to the brim, it's very likely that was the cause. I have had that happen when overfilling a keg and going through purging cycles to clear the headspace.

i've had this happen as well usually when purging a very full keg, and most often when I have done a burst carb and forget to bleed the excess pressure when I hook up the line at serving pressure: backpressure with a very full keg = beer in the gas line. I typically disconnect the line, rinse well with hot water then let it dry for a few days before getting it hooked up again.

i've had this happen as well usually when purging a very full keg, and most often when I have done a burst carb and forget to bleed the excess pressure when I hook up the line at serving pressure: backpressure with a very full keg = beer in the gas line. I typically disconnect the line, rinse well with hot water then let it dry for a few days before getting it hooked up again.

It's even possible with a back pressure that you could have some beer swept up into the line just from the force of pressure moving into the line. Sort of how hurricane winds can whip water off a body of water.

One think I always have to remind myself is to get the QD off a keg before I turn the gas down in the regulator. Esp. if there are multiple gas lines connected to the same source, high pressure in one can release the pressure into the lower pressure line when that keg is purged.

Back