Beer In 6 Weeks.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Reaction score
I have made 3 malt extract kits (1 lager - 1 stout & 1 - real ale) and was planning to have them drinkable in a minimum of 6 weeks. I would therefore be grateful for any feedback regards the following.

Which of the below methods would be more advisable or are there any others which might be better ty.

a) Brew and leave in FV for 2 weeks then bottle or keg - warm 2 weeks - cool 2 weeks - drink?

b) Brew and leave in FV for 4 weeks then bottle or keg - warm 1 week - cool 1 week - drink?

look forward to feedback ty.

We do all grain, but we ferment for 2 to 3 weeks, bottle, then into a bottle conditioning chamber at 75* for 3 weeks to carbonate; then refrigerate 2 days before drinking. So, in our experience, six weeks is do-able, depending on the beer. Many benefit from some additional bottle time, but our lager-style ales are fine at the 6 week mark.

Even our porter is very good at that point, and improves more with some bottle aging. It never gets very old though because we drink it up before that happens! :mug:

you mention bottle or keg.. kegging (if you can force carb) will give you better results in a six week timeline.

2-3 weeks in the fermenter then bottle and wait 3 weeks should be just fine. just be sure the bottles are in a warmer spot (mid 70's room temp.)

If you keg, you only need about 2 weeks with the "set it and forget it" carbonation method to your beers ready. if you can go 3 weeks it is even better. Still that gives you at least 3 weeks in the fermenter.

I honestly have tasted some beers which were 9 days grain to glass. not saying that all beers can work that way but know you have plenty of time. Beers don't necessarily NEED weeks in the fermenter. We often just do that because it is easy to be sure fermentation is done since many of us do not take the time to monitor and test so we can truly KNOW when it is actually done which is usually much sooner.

First, bottle vs. kegging is going to change the timeline significantly. Kegging can shave time off because you can force carbonate. Bottle conditioning is 2 weeks min, probably an extra 3 weeks to the process?

Do you have good temp control of the fermentation? There is no reason the ales couldn't be ready to package after 12-14 days of fermentation. No reason to let them sit doing nothing for an extra two weeks, if you had proper fermenation to start with. Lagers on the other hand will be lagering time and could be 2-6 weeks, depending on style and strength.

So yeah, 6 weeks is more than doable; I can typically be drinking my kegged beers 3 weeks after brewing, tops...2 weeks if I want to push it.

If bottling I would go by 2 weeks FV, 3 weeks bottle conditioning and a couple of days chilling.

If kegging, still 2 weeks in FV, somewhat shorter to carbonate depending on method, no extra time for chilling.

Ferment until you hit a stable SG. Then package up as normal. Let it carbonate/bottle condition and then refridgerate at least 24 hours before drinking.

You probably want to swap the yeast out if it is a lager for some S-05 or other neutral ale yeast as they are ready faster, as they do not require extended lagering. High ABV and complex brews, may not be in their prime yet. Wheat beers and IPAs should be about right in that time.

Because you said lager/stout/real ale I'm assuming you are using Cooper's pre hopped kits. My schedule for those is:

-3 weeks primary
-3 weeks bottle conditioning warm
-1 week in the fridge
-drink

I'm sure the 3 week primary is overkill but it's what I've settled on. If I needed the beer in 6 weeks I'd just shorten the time in the primary fermenter to 2 weeks (verifying FG of course) and do everything else the same as I do currently.

(... 1 stout & 1 - real ale)...

:smack:

You might have to cut corners on lagering; not 100% sure since I don't lager and have no plans on lagering so not completely sure of the process. Also is the stout is a bigger beer that might take a bit to be fully ready, but in the end you should be good to go at the end of 6 weeks. I would go 3 weeks in the fermentor and then 3 weeks in the bottles at around 70-74F.

Regularly go 2weeks primary, 1week dry hop, and 1 week force carb @ desired PSI for volumes of CO2. Beer gets better with another week or two sitting at fridge temp, so no doubt you can make a highly enjoyable beer in as little as 6 weeks. I'll usually sneak a few glasses after the 4 week mark to be very honest.

I just went grain to glass in 14 days with BM's Centennial Blonde Ale. Its good but needs some age for the flavors to meld. I did 10 days primary, then cold crashed for 2 days, kegged, force carb and then let sit @ 11 psi for 2 days.

I brewed a Stone enjoy By clone on Sunday the 4th. It's sitting in a keg now carbonating and clearing for a party on Sunday the 18th. That is exactly 2 weeks from Brew day to glass. I had to rush things mroe than I normally would. IE, dryhopping was only done in 4 days instead of the 6 or 7 i normally would have done. Also, the cold crashing was only for about 36 hours which I prefer to have more time. Lastly, I kegged yesterday at 30psi and will reduce today to about 10psi in order to get this thing carbed in time for the party on Sunday. I normally just attach the keg to my kegerator and let it sit for a week at 10psi (helps clear it up and gets a nice consistent carbonation). The only drawback is that it's not had much time to clear up but the taste and aroma are amazing.

Back