Kölsch Bee Cave Brewery Kölsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crap, I put it in the keg with priming sugar. I will let it sit at room temp for two weeks then cold crash it for a week or two and see if it clears

It'll be fine. It will clear after a while. You could always add gelatin if you feel like it. Either way it will be good.

just made my yearly batch of this. I racked it into a Carboy after 5 days and next week I'll cold crash before I keg it. Can't wait to drink this on a hot summer day!!

I'm too lazy to read through the whole thread haha. Could someone post the 3 gallon BIAB version of this. I will be brewing in a 5 gallon pot. Also is a yeast starter absolutely necessary?

Tried this again last night. It sat for 2.5 weeks at room temp to naturally carb then has sat in the fridge for 3 weeks. It is pretty clear. I thought it tasted pretty clean but my friend who has a better palate thought he picked up a slight DMS/cooked corn taste. Hopefully this will fade with time. Maybe on my system I should do a 120 minute boil instead of 90?

Brewed this up about 5 wks ago following the recipe exactly. After only 2 wks at lagering temps in the kegerator, this beer is drinking beautifully. Excellent recipe, wouldn't change a thing. Thanks!

Had a ton of 029 saved from a 10g batch of wheat beer I racked last week so I brewed up a 3g biab of this today while my boys were napping. Looking forward to another one of your recipes.

3.25g (to fermenter) biab
5.75 total water in a 7g pot
5.5 preboil after squeezing the sack.

Pilsner malt 4.4lbs
Wheat Malt 1.75lb

Perle 5.8% 1oz at 60
Tettnang 3.9% .50oz at 15 & 5

OG was 1.054 with 80% efficiency.

I added 1.25 pounds of orange blossom honey day 4 of primary fermentation with a honey Pilsner I enjoy in mind. In retrospect I should have just kept it as written the first time brewing.

Edwort -

I've done at least a dozen batches of this recipe over the last couple of years, with only slight variations to get a better feel for it. It was the first beer I brewed for my new kegerator, and it's rarely been off one of my two taps since. SWMBO loves it, my mates love it, everybody loves it. They ask for it when they arrive, even if I've just slaved over a Belgian Golden Strong or a Marzen for months.

I only brew in 5 gallon batches - I like lots of different kinds of beer around - but this stuff is so popular it pretty much gets every other brew slot.

My greatest thanks for posting this simple, delicious recipe. It should be at or near the top of any brewing list.

Bee Cave Brewery Kolsch. It's what the people want.

J

I did not have a chance to read all of the posts so I apologize in advance if this has been asked and answered. I have some saved 029 in the fridge and want to make a starter. With all of the rave reviews, I thought I better brew a double batch (10 gallons kegged. ) What is the recommended pitch rate for 5 gallon batch?

Beersmith says 182 billion cells.

I pitch a 1 quart starter, built up using two steps, each consisting of 1/2 cup of DME in a pint of water. With a pinch of Fermaid. If you use a stir plate (I do) this will get you close. If not, you probably need to get closer to 2 quarts.

Thanks for this recipe, EdWort. I got fourth place in the category with this beer at the San Diego County Fair in June!

Will this be alright with wlp080 cream ale yeast? I ordered supplies but they didn't have the yeast this recipe calls for.

UPDATE: Brewed with cream ale yeast and after 2 weeks in the keg man is this delicious. This beer being so malty and drinkable has made me want to brew more 'lighter' beers. Awesome recipe!

Quick question guys. I just brewed this recipe yesterday and used WLP029. I set the fermentation chamber to 68 degrees, as Edwort suggested. When I got home from work today the chamber was up to 71 degrees and the carboy is spewing co2 like I've never seen. So my question is, is this batch ruined? Should I let it go at 71 or try to cool it off mid-fermentation?

As always, thanks so much guys.

That's why it's better to control the temp. of the beer and not the ambient temperature. Try to cool it down if ya can.
The beer will be fine.

Kegged this last night. Mine came out a bit darker, I used an extra pound of pilsner and even ended up at 1052 finished at 1010.

Question: The 2.5 lbs of wheat malt, would that be white wheat malt? I read the entire thread and did not see this question being brought up. I was looking at two different suppliers and do not see a German wheat malt other than white wheat, red wheat, torrified wheat, and a bohemian wheat. Beer Smith had a listing for the German wheat malt.
Any help would be appreciated, looks like a great recipe, and I am looking forward to doing a double batch, thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Question: The 2.5 lbs of wheat malt, would that be white wheat malt? I read the entire thread and did not see this question being brought up. I was looking at two different suppliers and do not see a German wheat malt other than white wheat, red wheat, torrified wheat, and a bohemian wheat. Beer Smith had a listing for the German wheat malt.
Any help would be appreciated, looks like a great recipe, and I am looking forward to doing a double batch, thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I've used white wheat in mine for a couple of years now with excellent results.

I figured out why mine was so dark compared to the photos.

I was using Munich malt. I think I created a fantastic brew. What category would it be classified under?

It really is an awesome beer.

Great beer haven't made in a few years but getting back into the swing of things that's a pic from two years ago

Just brewed this one today. First time using WLP029, doing a 90 minute boil, and using German pils malt as well. Hit 1.050. Looking forward to tasting this one. Outside of my IPA/stout comfort zone, but I think this is going to be just what I was looking for.

Doing the same. Adding some juniper for a little flavor boost. Macerated in gin, will add at bottling.

Third time around with this - still a great spring beer! Had a neighborhood cleanup party over the weekend followed by a great bbq. The Kolsch was the hit of the party!

Just bottled my juniper version. Added the juniper "extract" a couple days before bottling after experimentation with how much I needed to add. At bottling, I could not taste any juniper, only an acrid aftertaste. I'm desperately hoping it ages out, as the beer itself is awesome.

So I'm planning to brew a batch of this tomorrow morning, but I just went to do my hop alpha acid adjustments and I'm a little unsure what to do. My Perle (5.5%) and Tettnang (3.5%) only give me an estimated 26.4 IBUs if I follow the recipe schedule. I could move the 60 minute addition back to 90 to sneak a couple more in, but it's not very significant. I'm afraid to move the late additions back because I don't want to miss out on their flavor/aroma. Any suggestions on what I should do? Maybe I could grab an ounce of a bittering hop from the shop near me (they have very limited hop selection, so I doubt they have either of these). Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Thought I'd update -- thanks for the help :D. No hard feelings. I decided to swing by the LHBS and grabbed some Saaz (it was the most applicable they had, I felt) to bring the IBUs up ~10 IBUs and into the recipe's vacinity. Looking forward to trying this one. Planning to keg on the 26th!

Brewing this on Saturday morning. Looking forward to having something other than a Belgian in the kegerator. Second attempt at a kolsch.

Because this it fermented at 18°C, should I use the ale fermentation type in mrmalty even though its not technically an ale? The hybrid is for cooler temp kölsch, right?

I brewed this yesterday and nailed my brew day except for one small problem...if you could call it that. I finally got my mash efficiency up, which means compensating for poor efficiency with extra grain is not necessary. Problem is, you don't really know that you had good efficiency until you have your beer in the fermenter. I ended up at 1.061 😃 I guess I will just have to wait and see how my imperial kolsch comes out. Stupid efficiency!

Cracked this keg open a little more than a month after brewing. Very good stuff...a lot more crisp than my last kolsch. Noticing a little more fruit flavor from the WLP029 when fermented at low/mid 60s. Not very clear, even with gelatin, but overall a keeper. I'll keep this one in my rotation. Got the Bee Cave Oktoberfest fermenting now.

Back