Weissbier Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And this beer keeps changing and getting better. Incredibly refreshing lemon note being exhibited tonight.
This is somewhat of a calidiscope beer!

I modified a bit to use what i had around the house. I used gy020 portland Hefe yeast with 5# wheat and 4# 2row. Mash at 155 for 90 min. It fermented out to a FG of 1.004. Maybe my heat died down during the BIAB mash causing the high fermentability.

In the keg now for about a week (not really carbonated yet) and the sulfur has not died down. The taste is more of a boulevard wheat with a crispness rather than a true hefeweisen but that is probably due to using less wheat. Looks great but the aroma of sulfur is not fun. Will that die down after a few weeks in the keg? Degassing a few times, shoots out the same smell that the bucket had while fermenting. Not fun stuff.

Brewed this for the second time yesterday using EdWorts original recipe. I used my frozen 3068 that I put into a 1 liter starter and stopped it at high krausen (about 24 hours after pitch) by putting it in the fridge.

The brew day went well. Hit my numbers with 75% efficiency. Pitched the yeast at 66° F. 8 Hours later I had to add a blow off tube. I am going to try to ferment this one at a higher temp than my previous 68° F. Shooting for 69 or 70° F this time to see if I can get some fruitiness.

My pipeline is about empty so I made this guy again and cream of three crops for a couple beers that will be quick to get on tap. The GF likes the cream ale and so do I, but I like wheat beers better.

Did this one yesterday. However, I had 2 packages of white labs American Hefenwiezen yeast so I sued that. I wonder how much it will change the taste. I did 10 gallons and pitched a pack in each 5 gallon fermentor. 1st Hef I have made.

Brewed this on Sunday. Hit an OG of around 1.05. I pitched at around 62F, and when I got back from work an hour ago it was fermenting at close to 75F (even though ambient is around 65F). I put a wet tshirt around it to try and get it back under 70.

Seems like its going well otherwise!

I did this a week ago. After 7 days at 68F it had dropped from 1.053 to 1.026. It also has a very strong green apple smell and taste... But the banana is in there too.

Should I let it cruise at 68F or adjust the temperature for the last days?

I did not use a starter, just a single smack pack that was about 2 months old.

Well, I brewed on Sunday, Monday morning there was thick krausen and it was happily bubbling at 75F, I brought it down to around the 64 on Tuesday, it greatly slowed bubbling. I raise it back up to get closer to 68F, where it is at the moment, however there's almost no bubbles anymore, and the krausen has mostly fallen...should I go up a bit in temp? Or just sit back and let it do its thing?

Bummer, I have my very first stuck fermentation with this beer!

I tested at 1 week and it had gone from 1.053 to 1.026. I let it continue at 68F and today, day 12, it is still 1.026.

I just stirred the yeast and set the temperature controller to 73F.

If I don't see progress by tomorrow afternoon, I guess I will hit the brew store for more yeast.

So of course I should have made a starter, but I didn't. Guess I should stop being lazy.

My question is, if the yeast don't pick up again, should I dump in another smack pack, or make a starter for this half-done 1.026 beer?

It does taste pretty good though, even half-done.

Brewed this last Friday and according to my new Brewometer the SG has been at FG for 3 or 4 days. Think it's OK to bottle this early or should I wait for the full 10 days? I am planning on bottling to 3 volumes in standard 12 oz "home brew" long neck bottles.

Brewed this last Friday and according to my new Brewometer the SG has been at FG for 3 or 4 days. Think it's OK to bottle this early or should I wait for the full 10 days? I am planning on bottling to 3 volumes in standard 12 oz "home brew" long neck bottles.

I did a lot of research after reading some that said don't carbonate above 3.0 in standard longneck bottles. I found a far greater number who said it was hogwash, so I went ahead and carbed mine to 3.3 vols, and they turned out fantastic. No worries at all about over carbonation or bottle bombs, and this beer is wonderful with a tall, thick head of foam. So I think, even if you did still have another point to go, you should be safe to go ahead and bottle. But then again, I can't comment as to whether it would benefit from leaving it the full 10 days. I only brew and bottle on weekends, so I leave almost everything in primary at least 13-14 days.

Personally I let this recipe sit 3 weeks in primary before packaging. Every time I've tried sooner I've regretted it due to locking in sulfur (rotten eggs) aroma. Once packaged with that it seems impossible to get rid of. Maybe I did other things wrong but now I always wait, out of caution. So I would make sure it doesn't have that aroma before bottling sooner than 10 days especially. Also, I love this beer.

Personally I let this recipe sit 3 weeks in primary before packaging. Every time I've tried sooner I've regretted it due to locking in sulfur (rotten eggs) aroma. Once packaged with that it seems impossible to get rid of. Maybe I did other things wrong but now I always wait, out of caution. So I would make sure it doesn't have that aroma before bottling sooner than 10 days especially. Also, I love this beer.

Concur!

I brewed the NB recipe(same as this one) and used 3068. Fermented at 66 and transferred to keg on day 11 and cold crashed. Locked in the sulfur smell and I even pulled the keg out of the kegerator to room temp for 5 days. Still there. When I brew again I will give it over 14 days to help clean up that suffer.

I brewed this as my first HEFE. Primary to keg in 9 days. I followed the recipe as written in OP and hit all of my numbers . I purposely slightly under pitched and this beer is great. Banana and slight clove with great body and mouthfeel. This recipe is easy, quick and spot on.

So I brewed this as a 4.5 gal BIAB style. 2nd batch. The only Wheat the LHBS had was Weyermann Pale wheat and WLP380. It's been in the Primary 1 week and looks very light. No sulfur smell, so I'm good there. Just looks very light straw. Will the taste compare to the German or American wheat?

This was a big hit last time I brewed, so on Saturday I'm going to brew 10 gallons instead of 5. Actually putting 12 in the fermenter to insure at least 10 finished beer. I'm making a starter tonight (my first) and looking at some guides I'm starting to worry that it's too small. I only made one liter for one pack of 3068. Will I be horribly under pitching? I can grab another smack pack after work on Friday if need be.

To further complicate the issue, it's common to deliberately under pitch in hefeweizens.

Fwiw when I made this beer I made a 1 L starter for 5 gal and it came out great.

Next time I am trying no starter.

To further complicate the issue, it's common to deliberately under pitch in hefeweizens.

Fwiw when I made this beer I made a 1 L starter for 5 gal and it came out great.

Next time I am trying no starter.

I agree. My 5 gallon batch was awesome with no starter and 3068 pitched straight from the smack pack. That's why I thought doing my first starter would be plenty for this ten gallon batch. But Mr Malty is saying I need 452 billion cells and that the pack (one month old) only has 70 billion. So that's like a three step up starter at 7 liters! WTH! And I'm brewing tomorrow afternoon. I'm going to go ahead, but will be prepared to have to pitch another starter in a week if it gets stuck.

I am brewing this again after 6 months. Came out great last time. I had about a pint of yeast i gathered from the conical and stored in my keezer. I opened it up to make a starter... and man, it smells terrible??? is that normal? same yeast as in recipe...

I am brewing this again after 6 months. Came out great last time. I had about a pint of yeast i gathered from the conical and stored in my keezer. I opened it up to make a starter... and man, it smells terrible??? is that normal? same yeast as in recipe...

I don't know (haven't started being a yeast rancher yet), but....why take chances?

I just came across this thread and coincidentally just made a very similar beer this past weekend. The only difference was I use 65% wheat and 35% german pilsner. I also added 0.25lb melanoidin malt because I did not feel like doing a decoction mash as I have done in the past. Has anyone had success with melanoidin malt in this recipe?

I mashed at 152 and have been fermenting at 63. My Hallertau Hersbrucker hops where surprisingly only 1.4% so I used 1.5oz for bittering and 0.5oz for flavor. I did a 90 min boil.

Made this beer a few weeks ago and had my first glass last night. Great beer, thanks for the recipe! I used WB-06 for this beer and was pleasantly surprised. Definitely get a solid clove and banana aroma, impressive from a dry yeast. Fermented at 70 F to really bring out the esters

I brewed this recipe using Bavarian Wheat Mangroove Jacks, fermentet at 68f, it turned out great, nice balance between clove and banana.

Here's a pic of mine. It's a deep golden colour. Great flavour

IMG_0127.jpg

I bought some Lallemand munich wheat beer yeast and I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations on fermentation temp schedules with this yeast in combination of this recipe?

http://www.lallemandyeast.com/company/products/munich-wheat-beer-yeast

I ferment it at 67F. I get good clove flavor - little or no banana. I ferment this for two weeks and bottle condition for two weeks - then start drinking it. It seemed like it lost some flavor when it sat around longer.

I ferment it at 67F. I get good clove flavor - little or no banana. I ferment this for two weeks and bottle condition for two weeks - then start drinking it. It seemed like it lost some flavor when it sat around longer.

Do you think it would have more banana at 70F?

Brewing this one as I type this. Collected too much Sparge so had to boil longer. No biggie.

Boiled off a bit more than half a gallon too much. Debating adding it in. Og of 1.057 at 5g even added another .5 gallons OG now sits at 1.050

Back