Becoming a certified brewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdavis

Reaction score
I have been in this forum for a few months now and I realize that many members have extensive experience and really know what they are talking about. I have a general question for the group. How did you come to learn everything you did about home brewing? Has anybody received any formal training either through a College / University or under a Brew Master or Head Distiller?

The reason I ask is because many educational institutions are creating brewing programs. Would anybody consider taking at least one course if not working to earn a certification? As far as I can tell the IBD standards are the gold standards for brewing and distilling. In the United States the biggest brewing and distilling schools are Siebel and UC Davis but many other schools are beginning to develop their own programs.

Some of us are already professionals in a similar field. Most of us just read the **** out of everything, including college textbooks.

I personally never had any intention of making brewing a career. Anymore, it's barely a hobby for me.

Most of us just read the **** out of everything, including college textbooks.

This is lesson can be applied to absolutely anything.

Just remember: EVERY single rocket scientist, nuclear physicist, bio engineer, and quantum theorist was born screaming, suckling and pooing. All of them. Nobody is born with knowledge.

If you have a desire and curiosity to learn, read, read, ask questions, and read some more. When there is something you don't understand, Google it and get lost surfing the web. Some people think they need the structure of academia (it has it's place) but I assure you that squirrel away knowledge at a scary pace on your own, given the drive. I burned out in academia and now learn at a far faster pace on my own about pretty much anything I want now.

Most of the sharpest brewers I know have no formal brewing training.

Here'a good link to start: HBT
:ban:

Thank you Gila, Douglas and GotPushRods for your comments. I agree with everything that was said. Academia has its place but a lot of learning can happen on your own. Especially now that you can look up anything you would want to know through the internet.

The reason I brought up this topic is because the college I work for, Schoolcraft College in Livonia, MI, just received approval to start a brewing program. It would be a 1 year certificate program that would teach the fundamentals of brewing as well as the business side of opening a microbrewery.

While I gained my limited knowledge of brewing from talking to others I certainly understand how people can benefit from a structured environment. I'm looking forward to the day when they start selling beer here on campus! I can see myself taking a growler home every time they brew a new batch.

One last question: What jobs do you see available in the field of brewing. Obviously there is the brewer, assistant brewer and cellar operator. I am also thinking of jobs as a packager, engineer, lab worker, management, retailer and brewhouse operator. Are there others people know of? What kind of formal or informal training would a person need to get one of those jobs. While Schoolcraft does not carry the same weight as Siebel or UC Davis I would like our program to provide our students with a quality curriculum that empowers them with the essentials of brewing and distilling.

Last edited:
I might consider some kind of schooling if I was intending to pursue a career in brewing. Since it is just a hobby, I read about things, learn what I need to know and determine what I don't need to know and progress from there.

I don't see any need to spend any money, other than for a few books, to learn what you need for home brewing. But then again I am cheap!!

In fact. If you spend enough time reading these threads you don't even need the books!!!! Google is your friend.....

If I had a passion for the hobby when I was first looking into colleges, I might have jumped right into one of these new programs. However, having a degree now I would never consider going into one. One of the "real" brewing schools, absolutely... but one of these new brewing programs that are opening up? I'd take a good hard look at it. We have one starting up at a community college and of course every friend and family member has been emailing me the info when they hear about it.

If you look into it though, ours at least, is based almost completely around business. There are very few classes related to brewing science and more about running a business. Just be careful, know what you're looking to get out of it before you sign up.

One last question: What jobs do you see available in the field of brewing. Obviously there is the brewer, assistant brewer and cellar operator. I am also thinking of jobs as a packager, engineer, lab worker, management, retailer and brewhouse operator. Are there others people know of? What kind of formal or informal training would a person need to get one of those jobs. While Schoolcraft does not carry the same weight as Siebel or UC Davis I would like our program to provide our students with a quality curriculum that empowers them with the essentials of brewing and distilling.

This is not from personal experience so take it with a grain of salt.
Most breweries have a master brewer. The position will only open up if he/she moves on or retires. Assistant brewers, from what I have read, are masters at shoveling spent grain out of the mash tun and cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. Packagers are warehouse type personnel. Lab workers probably have a degree in Chemistry, not brewing. Management would have an MBA.

Not to be a Debbie Downer. It just seems to me that these college programs will turn out a lot of certified people who will not be able to get the job they want. It might be best to get a low end job in a local brewery and see if you can work your way up.

And as breweries grow, those people raking spent grain and washing fermentors might get a chance to move up into a brewer position IF they are intelligent and dilligent about brewing. Kissing the right ass helps too, as in any job.

There is a lot to learn and school might not be a bad place to get educated, but don't think it's the ONLY way. Some people will strive to get a brewing career through experience because they couldn't stomach the thought of being in class for hours on end. (Although I wonder how often class time is broken up by tasting sessions in a brewing program... ;) )

And as breweries grow, those people raking spent grain and washing fermentors might get a chance to move up into a brewer position IF they are intelligent and dilligent about brewing. Kissing the right ass helps too, as in any job.

There is a lot to learn and school might not be a bad place to get educated, but don't think it's the ONLY way. Some people will strive to get a brewing career through experience because they couldn't stomach the thought of being in class for hours on end. (Although I wonder how often class time is broken up by tasting sessions in a brewing program... ;) )

Depending on the age of the classmates.... maybe never... Are they 21 y.o.?

Depending on the age of the classmates.... maybe never... Are they 21 y.o.?

I'm guessing so. At any rate, nobody under 21 is going to work in a brewery and get a brewer position either.

You know, I know a few people in school who got to drink/taste alcohol as part of the class even though they were underage. Must be some kind of exemption.

I totally understand where you are coming from. Since I work at this college I know the program pretty well. There is a good deal of brewing science but yes, there are aspect that have to do with the business side of brewing.

The titles of the classes are:
  1. Brewing Science
  2. Beer Styles and Flavors
  3. Brewhouse Operations and Technology
  4. Marketing and Operations Management
  5. Cellaring, Packaging and Quality Management
  6. Advanced Brewing and Distillation
  7. Beverage Management and Service

While I understand that our program is not the same thing you would get at Siebel or UC Davis, it also costs about 90% less! :mug:

At least in the State of Michigan the age requirement to take a class is 18. Right now Schoolcraft has a Culinary program and we are often asked to try their food. I'm hoping there is something similar with the Brewing program!

Latest posts

Back