bazooka filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer one

Reaction score
I just stumbled accross the bazooka filter web page and for 80.00 bucks it didnt look like any thing (other than the filters ) that the local hardware store dos'nt have. So has any one ever put together a home built bazooka?

If you want to build a filter I'd say save yourself some $ and buy a whole house sediment canister filter at your local hardware store and then choose which stringency of filtration you want. I've seen 1, 5, 10 and 20 micron filters for just few bucks and if you are careful you can re-use the filter.
016145606458sm.jpg

You can get a system designed for beer filtration for less than $80 if you already have kegging equipment. Seems like unless you had it already that filter would be a waste of cash.

Why filter? Yeast is good for you. :D I hear that you can actually strip the color out of beer with some of the finer filters. Beer turn out too amber? no problem... hehehe, it'll be as clear as water in no time!

Grimsawyer said:
Why filter? Yeast is good for you. :D I hear that you can actually strip the color out of beer with some of the finer filters. Beer turn out too amber? no problem... hehehe, it'll be as clear as water in no time!
I did an experiment where I filtered 1/2 of a batch with a 1 micron filter and it definitely was detrimental to the flavour profile. Funny, now that I think about it; kind of looked and tasted like BMC products except I actually used some hops in mine.

at what point, did you filter? I end up with alot of sediment in the bottle, and want to eliminate all of it. I like bottles to drink out of them, not to pour into a glass. any thoughts on what else to do?

If you bottle carb, you will get sediment. If you don't like it, you'll have to get into kegging, carb in the keg, then fill bottles with a bottle filler. Sorry. That's homebrewing.

Now, there's a chance you're getting a lot of extra sediment due to not letting it settle out properly (rushing to bottles), but again, you can't get rid of it all. If you filter, you remove the yeast. No yeast, no fizz.

+1 to everything Bobby said.

Plus, if you're drinking straight from the bottle, you're missing out on one very important aspect of the beer... Aroma! I personally don't think that you can truly appreciate a beer that you're drinking if you can't smell it's aroma.

what Bob is saying then is to keg, I can get into that. then you can bottle out of the keg with the co2 for the keg? I've read about the beer gun, and it seems simple enough. Do you need to filter to keg, and what is the difference if you don't?

I've thought of filtering my wort before pumping it into the primary after it's cooled to get most of the trube. I wouldn't get too aggressive a filter but I think it would just plain and simply be easier to filter than whirlpool. Something to get just the big chunks of stuff that settles to the bottom. It would make washing yeast that much easier. :D

You're forgetting another important part of drinking the yeast.... awesome beer farts all night!

bgrand281 said:
what Bob is saying then is to keg, I can get into that. then you can bottle out of the keg with the co2 for the keg? I've read about the beer gun, and it seems simple enough. Do you need to filter to keg, and what is the difference if you don't?

After you get into kegging don't go spend the money on a beer gun if you still want to bottle. I think it was BobbyM that posted a few videos of using his homemade bottle filler using a picnic tap and a broken siphon tube. I think his setup cost him all of about $4.95.......seriously. He also has done a lot of trouble shoot and learned that chilling everything prior to filling the bottle from the keg helps.

Ok, so forget about filtering for now. I've never filtered and all my beer is this clear:

4833-P1110533.JPG

It just takes a little time in secondary in the cold (1 week room temp, 1 week at 40F or so)

Then if you let it sit in the keg for a while, it gets even clearer. Then when you want to put it in a bottle (I wouldn't do so just to drink from the bottle but I digress):

[YOUTUBE]CwIbFQcHYyo[/YOUTUBE]
And to give proper credit, Biermuncher was the first to do this cheap hack, I just made the video.

lustreking said:
+1 to everything Bobby said.

Plus, if you're drinking straight from the bottle, you're missing out on one very important aspect of the beer... Aroma! I personally don't think that you can truly appreciate a beer that you're drinking if you can't smell it's aroma.

+1. I say, learn to appreciate drinking from a glass. Smell is 70% of taste!

Ditto, a hoppy beer just doesn't taste the same out of a bottle. I do like bottles for gifts, and really light lawn mower beer. Anyone want to buy a BeerGun??? Never used, and has all the connections to a corny (which I never use anyways).

What does filtering with a 5 micron do? I know a 1 micron results in a sterile filter, but does the 5 actually remove a lot of color and taste or just help clear the beer up?

5 micron is what I recall reading in BYO for minimal flavor degradation and maximum clarity,

As to why filter? This is an interesting question, since when I started brewing I thought I needed it. The only time I ever felt I got a crappy attitude from my LHBS was when I asked about it so I didn't persue it anymore.

Until I poured some commercial (but not macroswill) beers that were brilliantly clear in a way that even using the tips from HBT, don't work for me. I'm sure I'm doing something "wrong" in the process that makes it fail but I've done cold conditioning, extended primary, secondary, Irish Moss and just about everything shy of filtering or adding gelatin (more on that in a moment) and I can't get clear beer.

My reasons for filtering and not adding gelatin are simple - not everyone who might drink my beer is a home brewer. Sure, we laugh about the farts but good luck getting your bosses wife to find that amusing as she's crying out for God on the can the next morning. My sister in law is vegan so the gelatin thing is out if I plan on giving beer to her (which I do). Some of my friends are disgusted by the idea of yeast (never mind the lack of logic there...) and expect beer to be crystal clear unless it's Guinness. I'd rather filter some beer and have them enjoy something I made than have them turn it down because they're not comfortable putting "that" into their bodies.

Why do you think your beers are cloudy? I've only ever had one that didn't clear and I'm sure it was a protein thing. Do you find it too hard to wait?

wortmonger said:
Ditto, a hoppy beer just doesn't taste the same out of a bottle. I do like bottles for gifts, and really light lawn mower beer. Anyone want to buy a BeerGun??? Never used, and has all the connections to a corny (which I never use anyways).

Depends on price, really...

:cross:

Back