Bayou Classic Brew Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotten a few batches done on the 8 Gallon. You can squeeze a 5 gallon BIAB in it, but if you want some space on top I'd suggest either doing a small sparge rather than putting all your water in at the start, or getting a 10 gallon.

Dynobyte, that is not the same pot listed on Amazon. That is a steamer basket pot and isn't nearly the same quality as the brew specific pots. The brewing pots are a little heavier duty, have welded handles, numbers stamped, etc.

The item number of the 8 gallon brew pot is 1308. The 36 quart steamer is 1036.

He's right though. To do it again I'd drill my own port. The false bottom is great for mash tun, but for leaf hops in the kettle it's a pain to clean. This would be true of any false bottom used though in any brew pot.

Hope this link works. The prices are better elsewhere.

http://www.bayouclassiccooking.com/bacltrst.html

One of the pluses of the 8 gallon pot is that the paint gallon strainers fit the circumference of the pot. I slap one on there instead of using a hops spider.

Just got my 16 gallon in this week - hope to get the electric conversion done and brew this weekend. PROVANTAGE had the best price I could find - $248.74 shipped via FedEx. Pretty stoked... :ban:

I think with the 1.5 gallon space on the bottom it makes a great Mash kettle for a Rims System so you can recirculate your mash water. These kettles look like the perfect setup for this..

So I went and Bought 3 of them and going to start my Brew Stand...

ry%3D400

Considering the 16 gallon pot with thermometer and spigot for my next brew pot. It is on sale for $200 at overstock.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...-Brew-Kettle/8232445/product.html?searchidx=0

Is there anywhere cheaper or a better 16gallon kettle with thermometer and spigot for $200?

Also saw it on ebay for the same price.

The 62 quart kettle is only $105 also.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VXD94A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I already have the 9 gallon pot with spigot, but run out of room with my large beers and run out of room for adding the rest of the second runnings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look for a coupon for overstock I just got mine 15% off, free shipping so total was 169. Brewed a IIPA last weekend. I'm doing BIAB may be purchasing a false bottom for it

Just an FYI, there are 2 Bayou Classic 16g kettles with valves and thermometers. One is a triple-ply bottom and the other isn't. The 800-416 is the model that has a triple-ply. The 800-464 does not. The one in the link above is the the 800-464. It is still a good deal but if you want a 3 ply bottom, you will need to look at the 800-416 model.

Just an FYI, there are 2 Bayou Classic 16g kettles with valves and thermometers. One is a triple-ply bottom and the other isn't. The 800-416 is the model that has a triple-ply. The 800-464 does not. The one in the link above is the the 800-464. It is still a good deal but if you want a 3 ply bottom, you will need to look at the 800-416 model.

Just wondering, why do we want 3 ply bottoms? This is good? (Sound good...)

I have a 44 qt for sale in the For Sale Forum. It is not the Home Brewing version. but, it does have the ss basket and it is easy to add a valve and thermometer. BUT, at this point, I'm not willing to ship :(

To anyone interested in one of these pots, check out the Texas Brewing pots at my LHBS. I will be buying one soon and these have welded ports for less money than the Bayou classic pots. 15 gallon is $180 with valve and thermometer.

http://www.txbrewing.com/

Would anyone with 10 gallon mash tun mind telling me how much grain it hold?

I recently purchased a Bayou Classic 10 gallon kettle (#800-410). I am having trouble with the thermometer. I calibrated it if boiling water (distilled) and calibrated it spot on at 212 degrees. Then I did my brew and when I was bringing the temp up I checked the temp with a digital thermometer and it read 186 degrees, the wort was not boiling, and the Bayou thermometer showed 212. So, I brought the wort up to a boil and the Bayou thermometer was pegged at over 220 degrees. I emailed the company suggesting I received a bad thermometer and have never gotten a response back. Anyone else have any issues with their thermometer of contacting the company?

Also, does anyone know what size basket will fit into their 10 gallon kettle and not interfere with the thermometer (that doesn't work)? My kettle does have a false bottom and I have just started BIAB which is the reason I bought the Bayou Classic kettle.

Thank you.

Just a FYI I have a thermometer that would show 215ish at first boil with water. It almost pegs at 220 with wort. Probably has something to do with the wort being able to raise the boiling point.

I have the 16 gallon set, and I've had problems with my false bottom letting grain through since 2nd or 3rd brew. This weekend's brew (probably #6 or #7) had a 27lb grain bill. One of the legs of the false bottom buckled and let a lot of grain through. First time I had to shovel out all my grain bill mid lauter. You might want to get an additional stand or something to support it for larger grain bills. Otherwise, I've been happy with the set and a 62qt BC stock pot I use for my BK.

Hi TC,

I had another false bottom collapse on my 64qt 16g Bayou Classic kettle, model 1064.

The modification that had been working for awhile was to make a custom drain tube that also acted like a "jack stand" for the center of the screen. That was until yesterday when I must have been recirculating too quickly without using rice hulls and the whole bottom just warped and caved in.

Before I buy yet another false bottom, where you ever able to come up with a permanent solution by either modifying the standard screen or by purchasing a custom made screen for this kettle?

Cheers

Hi TC,

I had another false bottom collapse on my 64qt 16g Bayou Classic kettle, model 1064.

The modification that had been working for awhile was to make a custom drain tube that also acted like a "jack stand" for the center of the screen. That was until yesterday when I must have been recirculating too quickly without using rice hulls and the whole bottom just warped and caved in.

Before I buy yet another false bottom, where you ever able to come up with a permanent solution by either modifying the standard screen or by purchasing a custom made screen for this kettle?

Cheers

I gave up on the stock false bottom, and bought a custom false bottom from NORCAL brewing solutions. It has been working great, and worth every penny.

I have that kettle and it's a great value. But it all depends on what your plans are for it.

- Good as an HLT

- Good as an MLT (as long as you buy the false bottom that fits on that rim shown at the bottom of the pic. The new false bottoms are stamped with something that resembles a "peace sign" that makes them more sturdy than there previous design.

- N/G as a BK. Go with the Bayou Classic kettle that has the cladded bottom if that's what you were planning on using this kettle for

Cheers

I have that kettle and it's a great value. But it all depends on what your plans are for it.

- Good as an HLT

- Good as an MLT (as long as you buy the false bottom that fits on that rim shown at the bottom of the pic. The new false bottoms are stamped with something that resembles a "peace sign" that makes them more sturdy than there previous design.

- N/G as a BK. Go with the Bayou Classic kettle that has the cladded bottom if that's what you were planning on using this kettle for

Cheers

I was going to use this for BIAB, so yeah was gonna be a BK.

Read a lot of good reviews on Amazon...why do you say no go?

I do BIAB now in a 7.5g turkey fryer alum kettle. Has to be better than that, no? I wanted something that would work for a now, but also be a good piece for using while upgrading to a multi kettle system in future, if I decide to.

36.gif
Their site says coming soon, but has anyone seen or bought one yet or are they still waiting for release? They look awesome!

I own this kettle and I am not super happy with it.

It has a SUPER thin bottom. Its thin all around really. The kettle walls bend when you open the valve. Wish I bought a better kettle. Price is right, but you get what you pay for.

I use it to BIAB too.

Oh! the day I opened the box I wanted to do a practice boil to see how long it took to get to temps. I put in 8 gallons and fired it up. Next day there was several rust spots on it, in it. Mostly on the bottom on the inside. I did leave the water in the kettle overnight but I could not believe the amount of rust.

It rusts every time I use it.

Read a lot of good reviews on Amazon...why do you say "no good" as a BK?

Hi Ruascott,

What I meant by saying "N/G" for this kettle to be used as a BK . . . It' just not the best choice (even for the BIAB) compared to Bayou Classic's other 16 gallon kettle that has the Tri-Ply bottom.

I found the cladded bottom definitely to be a "plus" because the heat is more evenly distributed, during the boil, and I never get any scorching / burnt sugars from the wort even when I fire the kettle with my 100,000btu Bayou Burner.

Plus the bottom is much more sturdy than their regular kettles that just have a stainless steel bottom that I use for my HLT and MLT which may dent more easily.

Amazon has the tri-ply kettle which includes the thermometer, 1/2" ball valve, bazooka (which is still valuable even with BIAB to help keep the hot break crap out of your fermenter ). About the only other thing it comes with that you don't need is the false bottom, all priced for $225 / free shipping.

BUT . . . . Even though you don't need the false bottom it still works great for clams, steamers, lobsters, etc !

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-800-416-Gallon-Stainless/dp/B0082X3D06

Cheers !

Back