Fruit Beer Bavarian Orange Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP-351
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
unk.
Color
see picture
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
N/A
Additional Fermentation
N/A
Tasting Notes
Hint of orange on the finish. Definitely pick up the banana esters in the nose.
I was looking for a hefeweizen to drink and I was not keen on what the store was offering. It is January after all. So, what is any home brewer to do? Brew your own, that's what. Most of this starts off as a traditional hefeweizen recipe, but with an added orange zest on the finish. The Bavarian yeast strain definitely enhances the fruity character with hints of banana. I am not sure of the color or IBU, but based on the light hop usage you get the idea that this is a pretty easy drinker. I am including pictures, so you can see the color for yourself. I was surprised by the yellow color, I attribute this to the yeast strain. Had a party, and everyone loved it. Cheers, enjoy!!

Grain:

5 lbs. Domestic 2-row barley
4 lbs. White Wheat
8 oz. Carapils

Hops:

1 oz. Tettnanger at 60 min.
1 oz. Tettnanger at 10 min.
1 oz. Sweet Orange Peel at 5 min.
zest from 1/2 of a medium sized navel orange at 5 min.

Yeast:

WLP-351 White Labs - Bavarian Weizen
68 degrees Primary for 2 weeks total.

Single Infusion Mash:

Sacch' Rest @ 152 for 60 min.
Mashout @ 170 for 45 min. (fly sparge)

My efficiency was a little off on this batch. I was shooting for a 152 sacch. rest, but ended up at about 157 for 60 min. The OG came out to 1.042 when I was shooting for a 1.045 or 1.048. In the end, though, my ABV was 4.3 so I was pretty happy with it.

HEFE 1.jpg

HEFE 2.jpg

HEFE 3.jpg

Back