Batch vs Bottle Aging for extended periods.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage06

Reaction score
So two weeks ago I decided to brew a hilariously huge Belgian Strong Dark 1.118 OG.

I pitched it on a WLP500 Cake after brewing a Tripel. Measured the beer the other day and was down to 1.022 and judging from the amount of yeast still in suspension it is still fermenting. It was also a butter bomb due to me not having pure O2 and taking a bit of a laze fare approach. Regardless I hope to age this guy for quite a while 6 Months+.

Are there advantages of bulk aging in a carboy vs aging in bottles or vice versa?

I've heard large volumes age slower but are more consistent but is it really that apparent?

So two weeks ago I decided to brew a hilariously huge Belgian Strong Dark 1.118 OG.

I pitched it on a WLP500 Cake after brewing a Tripel. Measured the beer the other day and was down to 1.022 and judging from the amount of yeast still in suspension it is still fermenting. It was also a butter bomb due to me not having pure O2 and taking a bit of a laze fare approach. Regardless I hope to age this guy for quite a while 6 Months+.

Are there advantages of bulk aging in a carboy vs aging in bottles or vice versa?

I've heard large volumes age slower but are more consistent but is it really that apparent?

There have been several threads here from members who have tested this - half a batch bulk, half in bottles. What I've read suggests that the aging is both quicker and more consistent when done in bulk as opposed to bottles.

proven: bulk aging improves consistency.

not proven: bulk aging is better. this is my unfounded, unscientific opinion. there is some magic that happens when all that beer hangs out together.

i haven't heard that bulk aging is slower. if anything i'd think it would be faster because of the synergistic effects (yes, i'm a consultant).

in the end, i'd base my decision on resources: can you tie up a carboy/bucket for that long? do you have enough bottles, and can they be tied up for that long?

bulk aging will allow you to dry-hop before bottling and remain the fresh hop aroma. Other than that, they're the same (in my opinion).

IMO I consider them to be two different things and achieve two different things. When I keep a large beer in a secondary I am doing it so all the beer's flavors have a chance to blend and mellow whether it is being dry hopped or not. I do this with my porters and my holiday ales as well as my bigger Belgians. When I bottle, I consider this conditioning to be more for the proper carbonation of the beer and fully allowing the CO2 to saturate the beer. Higher gravity beers take much longer to properly carbonate than smaller beers.

Even after carbonation I have found my bigger beers really hit their prime in about 2 months from bottling and my smaller, hoppier beers are really great in about 3-4 weeks.

Back