Batch sparging and vorlauf??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chungking

Reaction score
Is there any point in vorlaufing when you batch sparge? Cause you are stirring the whole time. Just wondering?

chungking said:
Is there any point in vorlaufing when you batch sparge? Cause you are stirring the whole time. Just wondering?

I ALWAYS vorlauf and I always batch sparge. It helps the grain bed to settle and filter out grain particles. After completing the first runnings, I add my sparge water, stir up the grain bed, vorlauf again to settle the bed, then drain the mash tun for the second runnings.

I hope this helps. Mark

Unless you want about a quart of particle filled wort I would vorlauf. I always seem to get particles flowing out for the first quart.

I do it just because it only takes a minute, but it shouldn't really. The guys who steep grains or brew in a bag end up with all that stuff in their wort and still make great brews

I unfortunately kept getting a stuck sparge, so I had to keep stirring to keep it going. I have a braided hose in my mash tun. Anyway to keep it from getting stuck?

A couple handfuls of rice hulls do wonders.

Also, if you don't have some reinforcement in your braid (eg spiral wire), it can easily compress and cause issues.

chungking said:

Chungking,

I batch sparge and don't vorlauf after either the first runnings or the batch sparge.

However, to prevent getting any junk in the runnings, I run it thru a filtered plastic funnel when I drain.

This catches any junk and helps with not disturbing the grain bed when I was pouring the vorlauf back into the mash tun.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Back