Batch Sparge - Where did I go wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenixs4r

Reaction score
So today I tried to do my first recipe designed by me. I've done 3 all grain batches so far, utilizing recipes from MoreBeer and going off of 70% efficiency, I have hit all my numbers, so I designed my recipe around that.

IIPA -

12LBS US 2 row
1LBS Carapil
12 oz Crystal 40L
4 oz black barely (I was using this to hopefully get a red color out of the beer, Red head IIPA)
2lbs corn sugar(Added 30 minutes into the boil. wasn't sure when I was supposed to so i just threw it in)

Mash at 152.

I utilize a 10 gallon cooler, and a keggle, with a smaller 7.5 gallon pot to heat the water. I don't have a tiered setup, so it's kinda rigged.

I know I messed up the mash sparge some how, so I'm looking for help in my technique.

I followed Beersmiths directions:

19.20qts of water at XXX temp, I reached my mash temp of 152, left for an hour, stirring every 20 minutes. Mash temp fell to 151 by the end of mash.

Let those runnings go straight into keggle, while I had 6 gallons of175* water on standby.

I then put half the sparge water into the mash tun, stirred, recirculated, and ran into keggle.

Then I put the rest of the sparge water into the mash tun, I think it was down to 170 at that point tho.

Ended up with a measured pre boil volume of 8.75 (right on target), and a gravity of 1.044. Supposed to be 1.064

The crush was the same as when I i did my last 3 batches and got 70% efficiency, so I'm not quite sure where I bombed.

This is my first time using my buddies beersmith program. I set my Tot Efficiency at 70%, but I'm noticing now there's another box that says Est Mash Eff, and it's set at 94% It's grayed out and I can not change it.

Wtf did I do wrong?

That preboil gravity doesn't take into account the corn sugar. That was added half into the boil.

I thought about that. So I took out the corn sugar out of my beersmith recipe. Says my pre boil should have really been 1.051. So I didn't get it perfect, but much closer.

I took my reading going into the carboy, and it was 1.055, so the corn sugar didn't help boost abv as much as beersmith led me to believe it would?

Latest posts

Back