Bass bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbailey

Reaction score
I read somewhere that you can't reuse Bass bottles something about you can't recap them. Is this true I need to know 'cause I got 2 cases of them I'm planning on using and I sure don't want to be stuck on bottling day!

mbailey said:
I read somewhere that you can't reuse Bass bottles something about you can't recap them. Is this true I need to know 'cause I got 2 cases of them I'm planning on using and I sure don't want to be stuck on bottling day!

Are they screw off caps? If so you can't use them. If they are caps that you have to use a bottle opener on to open, then you can use them. :cool:

I've heard this before, too, But I have had no problems capping Bass bottles. I have about 6 mixed in with all my other bottles and have used them for several years now. The mouth/lip combo looks a little differently sized than most American bottles, but I have never had any undercarbonated or off-flavored beers with my Bass bottles.

BTW, I use a Black Beauty twin-lever 'wing' style capper.

We use mostly bass and guiness bottles for our brews, never had a problem capping either of them. the only bottles i sometimes have trouble with is St Pauly Girl Bottles. we use a gull wing capper thingy

Funny, I've never been able to get one to hold a cap. I use the handheld red "gullwing" capper, too.

Best bet would be to test a couple before you actually start bottling. That'll answer your question for sure.

they work for me. i usually cinch them twice with the capper though. the problem with the bass bottles is that the lip that the capper bites into below the cap is much narrower than 'american' bottles, so you don't always get the proper amount of leverage to make a real tight seal the first time. i give the bottle half a turn and use the capper twice and i've not had any flat beer in the bass bottles.

Back