Base for an Imperial Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harry-wang

Reaction score
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.098 SG
Estimated Color: 36.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 64.4 IBUs
Estimated ABV: 10%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
14 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) 34.8 %
13 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter 32.3 %
6 lbs Dark DME 14.9 %
2 lbs 4.0 oz Oats, Flaked 5.6 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Victory Malt 3.7 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L 3.1 %
12.0 oz Black Barley 1.9 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt 1.9 %
12.0 oz Chocolate, Pale 1.9 %

how does this sound as a base Imperial Stout? Ill be adding a bunch of flavors,
chocolate, coffee, etc...

That looks more like 8%. I use about 22lbs for a 6gal batch. Your efficiencies are much lower with these big beers. Personally I'd double the darks. I add about 25% dark to mash at first then rest about 20min into mash then start vorlauf about 10min later. Darks and long mashes give harsh tannins. Just my 2 cents.

EDIT:
Don't forget rice hulls since you're making oatmeal. I do oatmeal seperate, on the stove with a pasta strainer/pot, from the grains then add the liquid. One suck mash and you'll never forget. Otherwise I think you'll have a decent stout.

What's the yeast? What kind of water chemistry? How are you temp controlling?

Last edited:
Here is my base recipe. It’s been a winner for a few years now. You can add vanilla, coconut, coffee etc etc. this is a 10 gallon batch at 72% efficiency. I get 73-75% attenuation with Nottingham

IMG_0117.jpg
IMG_0118.jpg

Denny Conn says use as many malts as you want but be sure you can justify using each one. Can you give a reason for using all of those in you Imperial Stout?

Courage Brewery in London only used English Pale Malt, Brown Malt and Black Malt in their 1914 Imperial Stout.

That looks more like 8%. I use about 22lbs for a 6gal batch. Your efficiencies are much lower with these big beers. Personally I'd double the darks. I add about 25% dark to mash at first then rest about 20min into mash then start vorlauf about 10min later. Darks and long mashes give harsh tannins. Just my 2 cents.

EDIT:
Don't forget rice hulls since you're making oatmeal. I do oatmeal seperate, on the stove with a pasta strainer/pot, from the grains then add the liquid. One suck mash and you'll never forget. Otherwise I think you'll have a decent stout.

What's the yeast? What kind of water chemistry? How are you temp controlling?
I have my efficiency at 65% I believe ill hit my O.G.
I might also do that with the darker malts; add them later in the mash.
I run a H.E.R.M.S. and my water chemistry ill do once i finalize the grain bill, but basic stout calcuations

Denny Conn says use as many malts as you want but be sure you can justify using each one. Can you give a reason for using all of those in you Imperial Stout?
I can justify all these malts... I was more wondering if I should Up/Lower some of the darker malts.

Thanks for all the quick responses

I have mine set for 71% normally, and depending how big of a beer I am doing I throttle down. Since I'm using 6lbs of dark DME I feel like I'll be pretty good.

Back