Barley Crusher stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
Last time I tried to adjust my Barley Crusher the roller not attached to the crank would get stuck or not spin. I took it all apart but never really figured out the problem and had to widen the gap. Any tips on maintenance for this problem?

one of my homebrew shops has one that does that. Irritating...

my guess is you got a piece or pieces of malt stuck in between the roller and the metal housing acting like a break. when you took it apart, it prolly fell out before you noticed. It could also be where the pins hold the roller on the center bushing if yours is set up like that. dust can get packed in there.

I have a Barley Crusher and mine was manufactured in a way that I can't set a consistent gap across the rollers. Either the rollers were not cut straight, or the body/frame of the mill isn't square.

When I set a consistent gap, the non-drive roller "pinches" every 180* of rotation and won't spin freely, and won't pull grain through the rollers. To get it to spin freely, I have to either loosen or tighten one side. This creates an inconsistent gap, but it does allow the non-driven roller to spin freely and doesn't seem to negatively impact my crush.

You may have the same issue with yours...

Back