Barley crusher fix!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autonomist3k

Reaction score
I've had a barley crusher for 4 years and it started having problems all the sudden, it would crush for a second them stop and the only way I could get it to crush again was to bump the free spinning roller with a screwdriver, but then it would stop again.
I also found that when I tried to spin the free spinning roller by hand that it would stick half way through its rotation.
I did a lot of research and it seems that a lot of people have had similar issues. Some of the remedies that you'll find are flip your roller over, clean the knurls, or clean it completely and oil the pins that go into the bushings. The last 2 remedies are good but I tried them all and the problem never got better.
So I tried to contact barley crusher because they have a lifetime warranty, however it turns out that THEY HAVE THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER. I emailed them 3 times in the last month and have not heard back from them at all.

If you are in the market for a grain mill I suggest you do not buy a barley crusher.

If you already have one and are having this problem, I'm here to tell you that I may have found a fix for it and it's very simple.

It turns out that the 2 blocks that hold the rollers in place were too tight against the sides of the rollers, and the way to fix it is to loosen the bolts that holds one of the blocks onto the stand and slightly adjust it so that there is about 1/16" gap both ends of the rollers, the free spinning roller should spin more freely.

I ran a pound of grain through it without an issue, when I brew next weekend we'll see how it handles 14lbs, but I'm confident that it will have no problem.

I hope this helps!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1502739953.295317.jpg

Similar behavior with other mills that have an idle roller.

If the idle roller isn't free spinning (i.e. Spins for at least 5 seconds after giving it a spin) the frame probably isn't perfectly square and the bushing is bound up.

You want to tighten the bolts/screws on the mill body as little as possible. If you crank it down hard, the likelihood it's right and square are nil unless you have the proper tools to measure and adjust.

That's a good point, not only should the frame not pinch the rollers, but the opposing ends should be aligned correctly.

For the record though the mill isn't of very high quality, and the warranty is useless. You have to pay shipping both ways too.

Go elsewhere and put this guy out of business.

That's a good point, not only should the frame not pinch the rollers, but the opposing ends should be aligned correctly.

This is something I also had issues with on the cereal killer... You have to have the cams at each end aligned so the rollers are completely parellel.. best way to do this is with a credit card or feeler guages and not the often inaccurate markings on the sides.

For those who haven't heard yet the cereal killer, kegco or even no name Chinese Mills are all Superior to the barley crasher with hardened steel rollers and actual bearings instead of bushings.

Back