Bar build - Thanks All

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since they are keeping all the plying and electrical, as well as the frame, it will be under $30k.

Update - old bar out, new bar can begin now.

image-1387730371.jpg

image-739667053.jpg

Been watching your set up since I was a lerker. Sucks to see the old bard go to that heap but if you are going to do it you might as well do it right.

I'm sure the final product will be worth the wait.

Keep the faith!

Thanks. Turns out it is a good thing they had to tear it out. Among the things they found, which is an extensive list, was the counters were MDF and had started to mold and the soffit they added was held up with nails in only two places and was ready to fall down. The new bar will not only look better, it will be better. Live and learn. If anyone else hires someone, check multiple references and if you can, go look at something they did.

They began the installation. They installed the cabinets on the back wall and the soffits. They brought all of the boxes for the under counter cabinets. There will be crown molding on the soffit and the the cabinets too. The long cabinet on the wall will have my bar mirror mounted to it. The space to either side of it will be covered, and hide two speakers. The boxes under the long cabinet are going to be wine storage. The outside cabinets will have glass shelves, and doors, and be lit from above. They now have the measurements they needed for the ceiling panels, so they are back at the shop today and will install it, and some other things on Friday. image-2537383098.jpg

image-473711708.jpg

rvklein said:
I have to say looks higher quality than the previous bar.

Wait until you see the crown molding go on and the recessed lights that go in the soffit. It is definitely higher quality. Now, if I can just stay patient!

Very nice. Looking forward to seeing it progress. Are you contracting all the work out or are you doing some yourself ??

I am just redoing the beer lines etc. I contracted the rest out to a custom cabinetmaker.

Wow on all fronts. I liked the "old" bar but certainly understand what shoddy workmanship is. Can't wait to see the new one complete.

kenmyfam said:
Ah, thought it may have been an aggresive DIY home project. Good luck with everything.

Yeah, the DIY aspect was the Keezer. I did all of that work myself and had planned to turn it into a coffin Keezer but at the last minute, I decided to put it in my storage room and then run glycol cooled lines to the bar, through the soffit. I am not handy enough to build the Irish pub of my dreams. ;)

Wow. Just wow. Sorry to hear the old (hah!) bar had to go, as I actually really liked the look with all the exposed grain, but much better to have something that's built right, and the way you want it.

I can't wait to see this build get finished. I am extremely jealous of your basement. Maybe one day I'll have more than just a 3 tap keezer down here :).

Good luck on the rest of it, and I hope it goes as problem-free as possible.

Looks great!! The paneled ceiling with recessed lighting was definitely an upgrade from the last bar. So, is your chest freezer in another room. If so, how are you getting your lines to the bar? Do you have any foaming issues?

I too live in the region, Stafford, VA. What is the name of the contractor's who messed the epoxy up (just so I know not to use them). Also, what is the name of the new contractor, they are amazing. Cant wait to see more pictures!!

Thanks. I love the ceiling too. The amazing thing is that the new bar is still costing me less than the last one!
The new contractor is Timeless Closets. They have a YouTube channel and also have some stuff on Houzz. Their master carpenter, Dani, is amazing.
I don't want to "name and shame" the first contractor in public but, if you PM me, I will tell you the name.
My Keezer is in my storage room and the lines run through the I-beam, in the soffit and down a column to the bar. I got a glycol pump and lines that I run inside a trunk line with the beer lines to keep the beer in them cold. So, no foam. I had fun balancing the lines, but once I got them right, I was good to go.

Also, if anyone is interested in a soda gun, let me know. I decided not to put mine back in the bar because we just don't go through enough soda to justify it. Beer, yes. Soda, no. :)
It is set up for 4 flavors, plus soda water. I will probably end up putting it on EBay, eventually, but I figured I would throw it out here first. I paid $1,800 for it. It was a refurbished unit. Make me an offer if you are interested. Local would be best because it looks like a pain to ship.

They got the copper and epoxy laid for the bar top and the counters. They also put the panels in the face of the bar. There is still a lot of detail work to do on the face, but you can see the progress. They also brought in the bar rail. It is not attached yet but you can see what it looks like. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390990959.102732.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1390990970.619711.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1390990991.085151.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1390991010.062012.jpg

And the corbels look like this. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390991043.114017.jpg

It looks like we are finally in the home stretch. Almost all of the pieces are onsite now and just need to be installed. They were here yesterday from 9am-10:30pm and made a lot of progress. They put the frame around the TV, more trim to come, but you can get the idea of how it will look now. They also ran more wiring for lights, installed the fluting on the upper column, the lower ones and the face of the bar will look the same, and they started building the display cabinet, and also installed the mirrored backsplash. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391345943.459400.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1391345956.928899.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1391345979.458024.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1391345991.806489.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

More progress yesterday. Schedule got screwed by all the snow last week. They expect to be done this week. I think at least two more weeks having watched them work. Their master carpenter is extremely meticulous. It takes longer, but I cannot complain because the quality is so high.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392556152.321669.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1392556165.587891.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1392556176.577283.jpg
These are the flutes that will hide my speakers. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392556205.339828.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392556225.443512.jpg

And, I had to get an idea of what the whiskey cabinet will look like. :)
It is where my favorites will go, and is directly above the 3 step liquor stand. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392556328.744210.jpg

I have a theory that all these amazing bar build threads are started by people who are under house arrest for the rest of their lives.

Just kidding. I love this build thread, I'll be sad when it is eventually complete! :ban:

Looks like the last picture didn't upload. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393196314.341135.jpg

I have a theory that all these amazing bar build threads are started by people who are under house arrest for the rest of their lives.

Just kidding. I love this build thread, I'll be sad when it is eventually complete! :ban:

Some times I wish I was! Been having to travel a lot more for work and I don't get to enjoy it as much as I would like.

Got a keg, sixtel, from Old Bust Head Brewery which just opened nearby. It was their English Pale Ale. Very drinkable. Had 6 neighbors over last night and we were able to finish it off.

Dave, I have been following your built and I'm so glad to see a happy ending to what turned into a long and painfully journey. The bar looks amazing.

:ban:

Thank you so much. I have to say, that while the journey was painful, I have learned a lot. I honestly never thought I could afford a bar like this in my basement. If the last contractor hadn't messed up the epoxy, I would have been satisfied with what I got and that would have been the end of it. To see what Timeless Closets has done for pretty much the same budget, amazes me. I know sometimes my replies can come across as "look how great I am because I have this", but that is nowhere near my sentiments. I am just truly excited about the end result. Again, because I never expected to be able to have something so nice.
They are going to finish it tonight and I leave for NYC tomorrow morning. I won't be back until late Friday night so I won't get to set it up until Saturday. I promise, I will post some final pictures then.
Thank you to all who inspired this build. It is a testament to all of the great ideas I got by lurking here for so long.

Have followed your saga from the beginning. Dude. It's beautiful. I can't even imagine how much cash you have tied up in just the booze lol. The only problem is drunks are gunna fall off those bar stools. :D

A thing of beauty. I don't see Woodford Reserve on your shelves there though - I'll bring over a bottle when you have the forum open-house.
-Kevin

Latest posts

Back