Baltic Porter Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crocks86

Reaction score
Just looking for some input on a Baltic Porter Recipe. I'm shooting for just over 8%, and brewing it at the low end of ale temps rather than as a lager just because I have an altbier sitting on a WY1007 cake right now that I would prefer to use instead of building a huge starter with lager yeast. I've used that yeast as low as 13C without issues and it's pretty clean so I'm thinking it'll be close enough to a lager profile.

I haven't brewed the style before, and only really have had two (Duck Rabbit and LTM) but I love both those beers. So, I've looked at lots of recipes and came up with this below. Looking to be nice and malty, slightly sweet up front with some chocolalte and coffee notes and hop bitterness to finish it out.

Batch Size: 5 gallons
Boil: 90 min
Efficiency: 65% (aiming a little low due to large grain bill)

O.G: 1.082
F.G: 1.019
ABV: 8.15%
SRM: 34
IBU: 35

Fermentables
10.5 lbs- 2 row
4.5 lbs- Munich
0.75 lbs Crystal 40
6 oz- Crystal 120
6 oz- Chocolate (450L)
5 oz- Carafa special III
0.5lb Oats
0.25 lbs- Dextrose (not essential but dries it out just enough to be under 1.020)

Hops
To 35 IBU with magnum (or other high alpha) and 1 oz of a noble hop (not yet purchased) at the end of the boil. Sorry for vagueness but I'm not sure what the shop will have in stock.

Yeast- as above- measure an appropriate amount from the altbier yeast cake and pitch at about 13C.

Main concern I have is that it may be a little high on the crystal but I'm not sure if that's an okay amount for the style, and I'm not sure if I'm too low on the dark malts.

Thanks for any input

I think your recipe looks pretty spot on. My only suggestions would be to replace the dextrose with table sugar (unless you just have a bunch of dextrose lying around, since they will accomplish the same thing.) Also, plan on fining with gelatin for both your altbier and your porter. WY1007 is a BEAR to get it to flocculate, and it will give you some funky almost brett-like flavors if it's still in suspension. I had to cold crash my last alt for 4 days and then use gelatin to get it to drop clear.

Id suggest using a bit of special B instead of one of the crystals. That bit of rainsy dark fruit flavor is what I love baout baltic porters. Not sure if its traditional, but man it makes a tasty one

Both good suggestions. I figured I'd get a little hint of the dark fruit from the C120, but if the special B is better suited maybe I'll switch it. Think the same amount as what I have for C120 would be appropriate?

I'll stick with the dextrose since I have a bunch lying around and don't really bottle frequently anymore.

And yeah, 1007 is ridiculous when it comes to hanging around after the job is done. I'll see how it looks after a couple weeks of cold conditioning but chances are I'll need to use gelatin. With the alt after 2 weeks at ferm temps and a few days at about 4C it looked like it was still at high krausen.

And yeah, 1007 is ridiculous when it comes to hanging around after the job is done. I'll see how it looks after a couple weeks of cold conditioning but chances are I'll need to use gelatin. With the alt after 2 weeks at ferm temps and a few days at about 4C it looked like it was still at high krausen.

give the fermenter a swirl and that will fall, it just forms really light islands that don't sink until they are disturbed for some reason.

Id suggest using a bit of special B instead of one of the crystals. That bit of rainsy dark fruit flavor is what I love baout baltic porters. Not sure if its traditional, but man it makes a tasty one

This is right on. I used a half pound of Special B in my Baltic Porter, and you could replace the C120 directly for it.

Other than that small alteration, this recipe looks great! I also used 1007 for my Baltic Porter, which was all malt and 1.083, and I still got 80% attenuation on it. Granted, I mashed at 150 for 90 minutes. I also let mine go for 3 weeks, rather than my standard 2 to let it finish off those last few gravity points. Also be sure to let the temp rise to around 68-70 after the first week or so to grab those last bits of attenuation.

As for clarity, I cold crash all my beers in an ice bath in a cooler for 3 days before bottling, and they always come out clear as a bell, even 1007. A little tip about these low-floccing strains, repitching yeast from the cake will select the most flocculent cells, and within as short as 2 generations you can greatly improve your clarity. After generation 7 of this yeast, I had crystal clear, 80% attenuation beers, and only a dusting of yeast on the bottom of the bottles.

I say go brew this sucker! Looks like a tasty one. Just be sure to store some away to age, this style really opens up with a few months on it, and if you're meticulous about sanitation and keeping oxygen out, years.

Back