Ball lock quick disconnect (liquid side) No worky!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
I just FINALLY got my 10lb tank regulator, 5 cornie kegs, and all I need to get kegging, BUT......The black quick disconnect will not fit on the fitting on the keg. The gas side fits fine, but this will not go. Am I missing something here?

Edit: Just took off both keg fittings, and they are a little different. I guess I need to try some of the others and see if they fit. The lips just before the ball lock area is just a bit bigger on the one that does not work.

Are there different ones that work with certain quick disconnects!!

they are different. The gas qd will only fit ont he gas side. Its possible the post installed on the wrong side.

The gas and liquid sides are different sizes... that way you don't get them mixed up and shoot beer into your regulator if the keg is pressurized...

Maybe you got some funny model of ball lock keg. Or, it could be possible, however unlikely, that you have a used keg that some idiot put two gas fittings on just to mess with someone... but other than that, you've got me. I thought all "ball locks" were the same...

Sorry for being no help whatsoever...

What differentiates the two? The "nut" part on one has a slight cut on it where the wrench goes.

Maybe I need to post a pic of this?

Does the grey gas QD fit the "out" post better? Don't force it, but there is usually a little bit of resistance as it goes over the o-ring.

If it does, try the black beer QD on the "in" post.

The keg handle may even be marked "out" to help you get things back in order.

Obviously, don't do this with a full/pressurized keg. Hopefully you found this during a dry run!

Yes, dry run. I just got the keg kit today, used kegs. I will try to swap the gas/beer side to see if that works.

All of my ball lock kegs have a 6 point hex on the beverage out post & the gas in posts are 12 point (double hex) with a small notch at each point.

O/T - I've also run into a bad batch of gas QD's (gray) at my LHBS. They wouldn't fit the gas post but were fine on the beverage post.

I have kegs with two different types of posts, one set has the star base where the wrench fits as its gas post and the other set has the one mentioned with the small cut where the wrench fits as its gas post. On both sets the liquid post is the one that looks like a normal straight sided nut.

Once borrowed a keg from a buddy that had two gas posts on it, was able to get both the liquid(had to use a little force, stupid!) and gas disconnect to go on but woke up in the morning to a keezer with beer all over the bottom!

gas posts have notches cut into the hex or double hex along the bottom, the liquid posts have no cuts in them, these need to be correct or the couplers wont fit on the kegs properly
this post has a pic of the marks

I have some older single handle corny kegs that have posts that seem to be liquid out posts (no notches) but they are the same size as the gas out posts. I just use a spare gas ( gray ) quick-connect instead of the black one for these kegs. My theory is that at one time the kegs were produced with only one type of post and one type of quick connect, and the differentiation of the two was a later development.

Back