bad luck with a sam adams sampler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave11980

Reaction score
So in my quest to empty bottles I got a 12 pack sam adams sampler with 6 different styles. Unfortunately most aren't to my liking.

1. Coastal Wheat, I thought I would like this one until I found out it had lemon. Drank anyway :)
2. Creamy stout, I knew I wouldn't like that but tried one. Never have liked stouts, not sure why.
3. Scottish Ale, didn't care for this either, but maybe it was because I drank it right after the stout screwed up my pallet.
4. Boston Ale - excellent
5. Boston lager - excellent
6. Nobil Pils - really like this one too.

so 50/50, could have been worse I guess but still not a great weekend of beer. Doesn't help that I have a cold messing up the taste buds either.

+1 to not having cherry wheat. that beer was like drinking cherry extract syrup.

the coastal wheat i thought was alright. nothing fantastic but not a bad beer either. 4 and 6 on that list are quite enjoyable. i have had boston ale but i'm drawing a blank on its taste right now.

The coastal was drinkable, I'm just not much on fruity flavors in beer anyway, especially lemon. The whole bottom half was excellent, in fact those were the ones I knew i would like all along. I just had the other Scotch Ale and it was rough. I got it down but there is a flavor in there that I really don't enjoy. I kind of hope someone on here knows what it is so I can identify the malt and stay the heck away. And I've always known I didn't like a stout.

The coastal was drinkable, I'm just not much on fruity flavors in beer anyway, especially lemon. The whole bottom half was excellent, in fact those were the ones I knew i would like all along. I just had the other Scotch Ale and it was rough. I got it down but there is a flavor in there that I really don't enjoy. I kind of hope someone on here knows what it is so I can identify the malt and stay the heck away. And I've always known I didn't like a stout.

Scotch ales are boiled longer to create more carmelization so that could be what you dislike about it.

Rule #1

Don't buy samplers. There is a reason those beers are in sampler packs. They don't sell on their own.

how much longer, I'm doing a boil right now, maybe I should shorten it.

I just took the first runnings from my wee heavy (about 2 gallons) and boiled it on full heat the entire time I sparged my second and thirds (about 45 minutes to an hour) and got the volume down to 1 gallon. I mean, it was THICK. Then I mixed it all back up and went for a 90 min boil on the whole thing. Ended up with 6 gallons of 1.104 in the fermenter. I'm hoping the flavor comes through.

Back on track:
According to their website, they use Peat smoked malt in their scotch ale. I made a heavy 70/- and found that I DESPISE peat flavor in my beer. I think there were 8 oz in there and it's ALL I taste. I love it in my scotch, but when it's in beer it just doesn't work for me. I left that out of my wee heavy recipe.

Rule #1

Don't buy samplers. There is a reason those beers are in sampler packs. They don't sell on their own.

I couldn't disagree more with you on that. Boston Lager has a huge following, and it's a pretty good beer. Used to be one of my favorites. The Cream Stout is fantastic.

If a beer doesn't sell, the brewery will just quit making it, not continue to distribute it and piss money away.

how much longer, I'm doing a boil right now, maybe I should shorten it.

Very long times and depending on process, small amounts for even longer to be added back in later. It's an interesting brewing process but someone else posted that they just use peated malt which supposedly isn't true to style.

Even doing a 90 minute boil you wouldn't get close to replicating what they do.

6. Nobil Pils - really like this one too.
I tried a Nobil Pils this weekend and enjoyed it as well. I expected a typical "in your face" hoppy beer but found it to be very light but full of character. A very drinkable beer.

Rule #1
I do agree with this one. Sure they throw in some ringers but your guaranteed to some slow shelf movers packed in as well.

I'm a fan of nearly everything that I've tried from the Boston Beer Company. I just can't stand the cherry wheat or cranberry lambic. The blackberry wit isn't bad, though.

Rule #1

While mostly true, they aren't a bad way try out new stuff at a reasonable price. I'm a fan of Magic Hat's seasonal packs.

Although the best way to check out decent beer is to find a place (Trader Joe's does this) that let's you build your own 6-pack.

I'm a huge fan of the cherry wheat. I guess people have differing tastes.

I didn't mind the Scotch Ale. Definitely the peat smoked malt throwing people off with it. There definitely flaws to the beer, but not bad for as commercial as SA is. With the Scotch Ale, it needed more caramel, body, and ABV.

Back