Backsweetening with juice - How long after adding campden / carbonate at same time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauvafr

Reaction score
I found at most of the forums and blogs about cider that adding Campden and sorbate potassium is mandatory before, if I want a carbed cider with my keg.

But how long to wait after that before adding the sweetener (grape and cranberry juice, in my case)?

I heard it's better waiting a couple days after to prevent sulfur taste and smell (caused by campden from what i read).

And could I carbonate while waiting?

So far, here is my plan.

1. Transfer from primary to keg
  2. Immediatly add campden and potassium sorbate
  3. Carbonate at 30 psi 3 days while waiting for sulfur to disappear
  4. Add juice in the keg (1 part of sweet juice for 4 part of cider )
  5. Put pressure service for 48 hours
  6. Drink!

Sound fine?

No problem there. Stabilize, sweeten, purge the keg, chill and carbonate.

I take a gravity sample first to get a baseline for sweetness. Then use the sample to mix up the sorbate and sulfite to be sure they dissolve. Pour that into the keg and rack the cider onto it. Wait a day for the sorbate to take effect, then add sweetener. From there, the rest is like kegging a beer.

I found at most of the forums and blogs about cider that adding Campden and sorbate potassium is mandatory before, if I want a carbed cider with my keg.

But how long to wait after that before adding the sweetener (grape and cranberry juice, in my case)?

I heard it's better waiting a couple days after to prevent sulfur taste and smell (caused by campden from what i read).

So far, here is my plan.

6. Drink!

Sound fine?

Why add chems when you are chilling it anyway? I just killed a 5 gallon keg of cider that was in the keezer for 6 weeks with no yeast activity after it chilled to 32°F.

I can taste both campden and potassium sorbate. YUCK!

So far, here is my plan.

6. Drink!

Sound fine?

Your plan sounds a lot like what I have been doing, I only use campdon and I wait 24 hours before adding a gallon of juice.

So far I have had good results doing it this way.

Back