Back Sweeten

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh990311

Reaction score
Im using a recipe from the " purple wine book" for an apple wine and it calls for potassium sorbate at the end when I reach FG. I'd like to tweak this recipe a bit such as back sweetening and adding some vanilla and cinnamon for an apple pie flavor. My question is will the potassium sorbate keep this from carbonating after I back sweeten. I planned to back sweeten with some more juice concentrate. Sorry I didnt mention that is the base of the recipe. I used apple juice not cider due to it not being in season quite yet. Thanks for the advice.

Im using a recipe from the " purple wine book" for an apple wine and it calls for potassium sorbate at the end when I reach FG. I'd like to tweak this recipe a bit such as back sweetening and adding some vanilla and cinnamon for an apple pie flavor. My question is will the potassium sorbate keep this from carbonating after I back sweeten. I planned to back sweeten with some more juice concentrate. Sorry I didnt mention that is the base of the recipe. I used apple juice not cider due to it not being in season quite yet. Thanks for the advice.

Yes, once the wine is completely clear and then stabilized with sorbate, the yeast will be inhibited so it will not carbonate or restart fermentation.

Back