Back in the Saddle Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickTheGreat

Reaction score
Hey all!

I just wanted to boast that I brewed this weekend for the first time since March of 2015! My first daughter was born in May of 2015 and then another one a few years later!

So I took a day of free time this Saturday and brewed two 5-gallon batches. It'd been too long, so I'm sure I forgot some things. But all in all, I got some wort made that is fermenting now. So I couldn't have messed up too much.

Did a Pale Ale, the Pliny the Elder Clone from here, and did EdWort's Apelwein. That's a new one too!

bxTefjrl.jpg

LFAdSTal.jpg

Next is installing some faucets in my kegerator. I bought some nice Perlicks, now it's drilling time! I figure I have about 2 weeks to do that.

Welcome back!!

I understand the struggle as my first was born in 2017 and my second in 2019. I did manage a few brew in there but not nearly what I was doing previous to that.

Had it not been for covid-19 locking me in the house for months I likely would be on a brewing drought as well!!

Welcome back friend!

We all feel your pain. My son was born May 2019 (first and only child). Prior to him, we were doing about 20-25 brews a year. Now I think we're maybe down to 10 per year.

Good luck on your recent creations!

Set up looks good. Welcome back. I gave up for 7 years after having my kids. I think I got back into it in 2007. Been making about 13 batches a year since then. It doesn't take long to get back into the stride of things.

Welcome back friend!

We all feel your pain. My son was born May 2019 (first and only child). Prior to him, we were doing about 20-25 brews a year. Now I think we're maybe down to 10 per year.

Good luck on your recent creations!
10 brews is a respectable amount when you add all the other duties.
The first year my son was born, I think I managed two brews.

I always used to do two at a time, but after these two, I may go back to one at a time. I think I could get it done in a morning and not shoot the whole day!

I was surprised how much of it "came back." I already am searching for the recipe for my next brew. And maybe the one after that!

So these beers have been in the keg for a couple weeks now and taste good., The Pliny Clone is okay, not super impressed. The Pale is as good as ever.

I sprung for the Perlick Flow Controls but am still having foam issues. I have my psi at 12, which is probably at the high side for these beers, so I'll probably turn it down some.

Either way, I'm already starting to scheme for my next batch!

I did the opposite i had a kid. She has been involved since she was 6 months old. now 3 she loves to help me in the brewery. i let her build the valves or mix the grain in. she will also scale the grain out with me.

Now she enjoys working on lots of things and will get mad at me if i don't let her do most of the work.

congratulations on the batches looks great! also great view. its very dead and dry in Utah right now at least we have the wild fires to keep us entertained.

I sprung for the Perlick Flow Controls but am still having foam issues. I have my psi at 12, which is probably at the high side for these beers, so I'll probably turn it down some.

I have Perlick Flow Control faucets and many of my beers are carb'd/served at 12 PSI, and don't have foaming issues. Are your faucets on a tower, by any chance? If so, I'm thinking (warm) "first pour foam" as something to look at.

I have Perlick Flow Control faucets and many of my beers are carb'd/served at 12 PSI, and don't have foaming issues. Are your faucets on a tower, by any chance? If so, I'm thinking (warm) "first pour foam" as something to look at.

Actually no, They are in a side-by-side fridge door. I am a little short on line, like 8 ft or so. But I figured with flow controls it'd be okay.

I need to experiment a little more. But my understanding was you should turn them down all the way, and slow go up until you get too much foam. And I'm barely "on" for either beer, really.

Back