Auto-Siphon Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grim_Ale

Reaction score
Hey everyone, hope all is well.

I have ordered an auto-siphon and all the reviews are good except everyone mentions the plastic being brittle and breaking after frequent use.

Does anyone make a stainless steel version of the pump auto-siphon? I've had the one from MB where you have to pinch and blow through a filter while pinching the hose. This was ok but air always got in and even with clamps I rarely got a solid siphon without bubbles in the line.

So who has the best auto-siphon?

I've had an autosiphon for years and it's never looked like it was going to break...

The upper curve of the cane needs to be protected and handled gently in use and storage. I lube with starsan solution to attach hose and insert cane into tube. I remove the cane from the tube to protect the rubber seal from developing a memory. I store them in a long wallpapering tray.

Heat can damage the plastic over time. Over-tightening the hose clamp can crack the tube slightly.

My first one got damaged when I siphoned hot wort from the boil kettle through the chiller. My second one has been going for a couple of years, although I do admit I probably don't brew as often as a lot of homebrewers on here.

I do recall having seen where someone made or sold a stainless autosiphon, but I don't have a link.

Northern Brewer sells a SS dipstick. I have broken 2 over the years and was tempted to buy one, but decided to save the $35

They are cheap. If it breaks, buy a new one. I've had a 12 dollar plastic auto syphon for a long time...when the seals go oh well.

Don't expose them to heat and don't do prolong oxyclean soaks and you'll extend the life of the auto-siphon.

Been using auto-siphons for 11 years now. I've never broken one. Never thought it was a problem, or heard of it until this post.

Now watch... I'll break every one I use from this point on.

Back