Attempted Outdoor Lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemet

Reaction score
Been awhile since I posted- I have a few things I came across- wanted to hear some feedback

I wanted to start utilizing the outdoor temps for making beer.. specifically lagering. I never made one- so I gave it a whirl.

First problem came when I arrived to get my grain-

#7.5 2 row lager malt - they didnt have so I replaced with pilsner malt
was this a good choice? the brewmaster was not in- and its not a real shop shop- but it suits my purposes.

recipe is

7.5 lager (pilsner)
1.5 american vienna
1.5 light munich
.25 carapils

mash 154~ 70 minutes

.33 Golden @ 60
.25 Hall @ 30
.25 Hall @ 10

Made a starter with dry yeast S23 the night before and pitched that-

Fermentation took off within 12 hours. The Kreusen is creamy and beautiful....im STOKED

Here is the issue:

1) Pilsner Vs Lager malt with this recipe- good/ bad / wont matter?
2) Im fermenting outdoors- in a shed- in a cabinet in the shed- in-lined with 1/2 inch pink insulation- 70% efficiency with that-
2a) the inside temperature of the cabinet says 40 degrees. Im assuming my beer is about 5 higher- so MAYBE 45 at best.

The S23 shines at slightly higher temps. Im battling elements outdoors-

Any suggestions? Can I leave at the 40 degree inside temp- hope for 45- and shoot for the best? Should I grab a blanket and cover that baby up more to give it some more warmy goodness?

I plan on 2 weeks at 45- then 3 weeks at 35ish- in a secondary and go from there.

thoughts?

After fermentation subsides (i.e., 2 weeks), raise the temp up to 60 for a couple of days. This is the diacetyl rest (d-rest). You might not need it, but it won't hurt anything. It also will ensure that fermentation was complete.

Don't worry about the malt. I don't know what lager malt is, but it's probably the same as pilsner malt anyway.

Back