Attacked by tree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiedog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We were away from home over the weekend. When we arrived home, there was a tree sticking thru our roof! We've had heavy rain and high winds, but never imagined our house getting hit by a tree. But a huge 100+ ft tall Eucalyptus tree fell all the way across our yard, punched 2 holes in our roof, and knocked down the ceiling in one room. What really hurts, is that room is where my grain and brewing equipment is. I also have my latest lager in there, and the airlock got knocked off. What a mess everywhere! UGH! :(

Hope the insurace will cover the cost of the lager. Glad it wasnt a complete lost.

Major bummer to come home to, man. We had a tree incident last March where we lost a huge Japanese willow. Missed our house by about a foot but it totally uprooted our whole concrete walkway and crushed our fence. Between that and getting the stump ground down it was a pain to deal with but we were lucky!
Hope insurance hooks you up and the contractors come through for you. I'd still roll with the lager if there's any left. Eucalyptus aged lager. Mmmm!

It sure is a bummer, bobeer. The past 2 days, there has been a crew working to clear the downed trees, cleanup and chipping. They are almost finished. What a mess! The East side of our lot had a good screen of small trees and brush. Now unfortunately, that is all gone. It is wide open to a busy street and community walking path that look down on our yard. Now I am dealing with insurance and contractor(s) to get my house repaired. I do have pictures, need to load windows 10 compatible photo software on or new computer. I'll post some pics as soon as I can.

MaryB, I did just that. I'll rack to secondary maybe tomorrow, and check for debris and contamination. It appears to be okay though.

Depending on what type of roof you have and if you didn't crack a rafter you could fix it yourself and "make out" with the insurance. Might even pay for some new equipment :D
By make out I mean maybe youll get a hot lady adjuster that is willing to buy you stuff of course ;)

Bummer Okiedog. Hope everything turns out OK.

We had a ton of trees come down up here in the Sierras too. The drought stressing trees and now all this rain loosening the soil is making for a terrible combo. I've seen quite a few people posting on FB about trees coming down on their house or car or driveway etc. I have a coworker who's father was sleeping and a tree came down on his cabin, he had a stout dresser that "caught" the tree and prevented it from crushing him.

Also I went to school in Santa Barbara and I learned really quick not to park anywhere near a Eucalyptus tree. They shed branches like crazy. I can only imagine a whole tree coming down. At least you weren't home to get hurt.

Joist knocked loose, rafter in splinters.

344.jpg

360.jpg

Back