At what temperature do you set your kegerator for serving?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6 foot lines (3/16") at 44 and 13-14 psi.

I was at 36 for the last year, but I think having the temp up higher allows the flavors to come through better right out of the tap.

Question: For you guys that have 10' lines. 3/16" line right?
I'm going to be cutting my lines to size tonight. Using the excel sheet beer line length calculator and plugging in all the variables, with 3/16" line, I'm getting lengths much shorter than 10' for my desired temp/vol combo (in the 4 to 5' range). So if I may reiterate B-Dub's question... For the guys with 10' lines are you using 3/16" or 1/4" lines?

I'm going to be cutting my lines to size tonight. Using the excel sheet beer line length calculator and plugging in all the variables, with 3/16" line, I'm getting lengths much shorter than 10' for my desired temp/vol combo (in the 4 to 5' range). So if I may reiterate B-Dub's question... For the guys with 10' lines are you using 3/16" or 1/4" lines?

I use 3/16 at 10 ft, 38 degrees, 10 psi. That's what works for me anyway.

FWIW, I plugged my info into some of those line-length calculators, and they usually said I should be using 4 ft lines. I started with 6 foot lines (foam foam foam) and eventually replaced with 10 ft. Now it's all good.

An aside, it's cheaper and easier to trim lines that are too long than it is to replace lines that are too short. I'd start with longer than you believe you need.

I use 3/16 at 10 ft, 38 degrees, 10 psi. That's what works for me anyway.

FWIW, I plugged my info into some of those line-length calculators, and they usually said I should be using 4 ft lines. I started with 6 foot lines (foam foam foam) and eventually replaced with 10 ft. Now it's all good.

An aside, it's cheaper and easier to trim lines that are too long than it is to replace lines that are too short. I'd start with longer than you believe you need.
Thanks SM, your response is exactly what I was looking for. I've got plenty of line and I'll be starting with 10'.

40-45F, depending on the weather outside since my 'rator is in the garage and I don't have a controller on it...

Same here, but on the front porch. I try to keep it between 40-45˚, but it usually stays at about 38˚, no matter how much I tinker with the dial.

40* w/ 5' lines 3/16" @ 12 PSI with a 2.5 foot rise from top of keg to faucet

2693194698_d52c7936de_m.jpg

I've had my kegarator up and running for a month now. I have 5' lines at 45 with 10-12 psi. I am having no foaming issues on a seettled keg. After yanking them around abit, it gets foamy, but settles down in an hour or so. At this point, I don't have a need to go with longer lines.

balmy 35F here. I find it ages and clears better at these temps, also need less PSI to carb. I DO prefer to drink my beer at much warmer temps, but by the time I really start drinking it it's at these temps anyway.

With mine, pending the brew style, I kept the darker porters and stouts, to a temp nearly 39, and for the lighter brews, I think at about 42. I found taking out the icer shelf, it lowers the temp a bit easier pending your setting, but again, that is for a one kegger.

Great old thread...I was in panic mode because i couldn't seem to get my kegerator down below 40, (also felt more comfortable with it around 43 or so, so it didn't work too hard)..but it looks like i just have to tinker with the psi setting.

HBT, you are full of good threads.. too many get lost!

I had mine set to 34 +/-1 with an extra thermometer inside as confirmation. I don't know if it is the tower or what...but, it pours a glass out at 39-40. And right now in the heat of the deep south, it feels too warm. I feel like I can grab a seltzer out of the family fridge and it is colder. But when I put the thermometer inside the glass after I pour it, it reads 39-40. Can't wait for winter!

I just bumped it down to 30 +/-1. You think it may freeze?

I tapped my first keg in my converted kegerator this weekend and had a ton of foam issues. I think the issue is coming down to the beer being too warm and/or too short of beer line (7'). The beer just seemed to be coming out way too fast and was ending up with 50-75% foam.

But the odd thing was my temp sensor was set at 30, my air temp was 36-38, but then I eventually I tested the beer and it was in the high 40s. So I guess I need to really put the air blast on. I haven't been that impressed with the JC Analog temp controller.

I'm going to untap the keg tonight, swap out the beer line to 10', re-tap, let cool 24 hours and see if that helps.

Going to be building a kegerator soon just wondering what the difference in the five foot line is to the 10 foot line what is the advantage of a 10 foot line?

I'd go with the longer line as you can always cut it down. I built a kegerator last spring, got a 7' line, and had nothing but foam. I swapped in a 10' line and the issues got better. With that said, my other solution I did was get a fan in the kegerator to distribute the cool air to the top, so that have been a part of the solution as well.

Go with the 10 ft lines. I started with shorter lines and ended up replacing them. Also, the fan is important, especially if you're using a chest freezer. Anything that keeps the beer lines cooled will keep foaming to a minimum.

If you want to use the 5-7' lines I would strongly recommend a fan for sure. Otherwise the combo of a shorter line and warmer temp near the tap is going to cause foaming. The fan will at least give you a better shot at those line lengths working.

I keep mine set at 40 F with 10 foot lines and no fan. I have no foaming issues, though I do the set and forget force carbonation method to ensure i dont over/under carb. Fans are good if you have bouts of foam to start then no more afterwards to keep the taps cool.

42 F, with 8-10ft lines. The 8 ft taps occasionally throw a little too much foam, depending on the beer. Most ales are at 11 psi, lagers and ciders a little higher, 12-14 psi

Back