Armpit aroma while in secondary. Is it the hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crispyvelo

Reaction score
Alright, I don't think I jacked anything up during brew day. I made a 3 Floyd's Gumballhead, which is made using only Amarillo hops. I racked to secondary a few days ago, and dry hopped with more Amarillo.

Here's the issue - it stinks! It has a strange BO, dirty armpit thing going on, totally different from any brew I've ever smelled. This is my first time using Amarillo hops, and maybe this is a different kind of "danky" than I've ever had before. Do Amarillo hops sometimes come off this way? If anyone out there has made the Gumballhead clone before, have you experienced this?

Also, I haven't tried the real Gumballhead, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Lastly, is there another brew with a similar grain bill and Amarillo hops I can buy to compare it to stylistically (if I can't find Gumballhead)?

I'm really hoping this mellows out after anoth week or so... Brewed it on 5/25.

Thanks!

With the mix of aromas during fermentation, I wouldn't judge the poor amarillo hop too harshly yet.

Hey crispy. Amarillo is a tasty hop. But, are you sure you didn't get a waft of real armpit stink? Once brewed a beer and I had a dead bandicoot outside my brewshed and boy did that throw my senses out of wack.

Hey crispy. Amarillo is a tasty hop. But, are you sure you didn't get a waft of real armpit stink? Once brewed a beer and I had a dead bandicoot outside my brewshed and boy did that throw my senses out of wack.

Ha! Yeah, it was definitely in the glass :)

I'll be patient and give it time to come together. Beers always go through an evolution, especially during the fermentation process. This is just quite different than any other batch I've brewed so far....

Back