Arm in Beer NEIPA - had to put arm in fermenter, this should be interesting.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_gunslinger

Reaction score
Thats why they call it Adventures in Homebrewing :cool: Just a humorous tale...

Back into brewing after long hiatus. Have an Anvil Foundry and two SS Brewtech BME kettles fermenters.

Was going to try and prerssure transfer from one SS Brewtech fermenter to the other. Turn on a little CO2 and the bottom out spigot of the beer SS Brewtech starks leaking. If you are familair with the SS Brewtech it has one of those spigots that can rotate in place so the internal pipe can be rotated away from trub. But apparantly, that lock nut has to be just right. Must have been too loose so the CO2 starts forcing beer out gasket. Tunring off CO2 helps, release lid as well to vent. But the pressure did enough to loosen the seal, so I have a nice steady trickle of my good beer draining out - at a rate I was like "Oh hell no.!" I would have probably lost 1 gallon getting 5 gallons transfered.

So what do you do? Most would probably let the gallon go, suck up the mistake and cleanup. Offering to the beer gods. and lesson learned. Maybe I should have done that :rolleyes:

Instead, I notice my bucket of sanitizer is next to me. So, you guessed it, stuck my arm into bucket, up to bicep, leave it in there 15 second (all the while watching my beer leak out), then put my entire arm into fermenter and hand tighten the nut to stop the leak :rock: (or o_O).

So if this beer turns out, and my arm didnt infect anything, its going to be called Arm in Your Beer NEIPA.

I have two ssbrewtech buckets, I seen a post here on HBT to use a single o-ring on the outside of the bucket and that makes tightening the spigot easier. You can only turn the rotating clockwise once during a transfer but that is OK with me.

Before I used an o-ring on the inside and outside and it was very touching on getting everything set just right to not get a leak. I recall having to dip my arm down into fresh wort to make adjustment.

As already noted, you can only turn the SS spigot clockwise or it will loosen itself. Turning it clockwise will also tend to tighten it more so there is a limit to that too although it doesn't hurt to crank it with a wrench if needed to get it to turn a little more.

I once had to stuck my arm in a belgian quad, I was changing from blow off to airlock so I had to place the ruber seal on top of the bucket lid so the airlock would seal because my blow of tubes are bigger than the airlock in width. I was to lazy to remove the bucket so I tried to place it while still on, I threw the f***** rubber thing though the hole, so in a high ABV brew I was afraid it was going to get degraded in there or who knows, so sanitized my arm and went fishing hahaha

Obviously this is a secret that no one knows hahaha

I once had to stuck my arm in a belgian quad, I was changing from blow off to airlock so I had to place the ruber seal on top of the bucket lid so the airlock would seal because my blow of tubes are bigger than the airlock in width. I was to lazy to remove the bucket so I tried to place it while still on, I threw the f***** rubber thing though the hole, so in a high ABV brew I was afraid it was going to get degraded in there or who knows, so sanitized my arm and went fishing, it was pretty fizzy as it was still fermenting hahaha

I should add that my arm went in the fermenter chasing a chuck key that I dropped. Not sure which caused the infection.

Im picturing it with that classic cinema effect - slowmotion, key bounces up in the air,heading toward beer, slowmotion jump thru air to catch it,b ut miss....

I once had to stuck my arm in a belgian quad, I was changing from blow off to airlock so I had to place the ruber seal on top of the bucket lid so the airlock would seal because my blow of tubes are bigger than the airlock in width. I was to lazy to remove the bucket so I tried to place it while still on, I threw the f***** rubber thing though the hole, so in a high ABV brew I was afraid it was going to get degraded in there or who knows, so sanitized my arm and went fishing, it was pretty fizzy as it was still fermenting hahaha

Lol - you gotta do what you gotta do. I was thinking to myself when doign it.... is 15 seconds enough?

Back