Are the beginner kits worth spending money on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keqwow

Reaction score
I am thinking about jumping into the hobby but I am wondering if the beginner kits offered by Norther Brewers or Midwest are worth the money? I am just thinking about the quality of the components that come in these kits. Is this something that I spend $100 on and quickly find I want to upgrade my bottle capper, or fermenters etc. ??? I am just wondering if I should spend a little more up front for slight higher quality components or if the stuff that comes in these kits is good enough to do the job and last?

The gear you get is good and serves the purpose for your first batches. I have not met too many brewers that didn't start on a kit like that.

Your better to buy the kit and do a few batches on it to make sure you like brewing before you start spending money on more kit.

I think the components should last quite awhile if handled correctly. I'm still using the same capper, carboy, airlock etc. I got with my starter kit five years ago. I have gotten more carboys, and replaced the racking cane and tubing, but the originals lasted a good while.

I got a Brewers Best kit when I started and I still use everything that came in it. I have added things, but all the starter stuff is still in use for sure.

I think the components should last quite awhile if handled correctly. I'm still using the same capper, carboy, airlock etc. I got with my starter kit five years ago. I have gotten more carboys, and replaced the racking cane and tubing, but the originals lasted a good while.

Same here. Bought my Morebeer kit years ago, and I still use most of the components today.

Brewers Best Deluxe kit here. Still going strong with it after 5 months. Well worth it to me.

The main reason why brewers upgrade their kit is to brew more beer concurrently rather than because of the kit breaking.

If you buy a noob kit I guarantee that the first upgrade you will do is purchase another carboy so that you can brew two batches at once.

Almost a year in, and just about all I've replaced are things I've ruined through my own incompetence. The bottle brush is just about the only thing that came in my kit that I thought was a waste; I've found warm oxy-clean soaks will de-gunk glass pretty reliably.

I'd recommend starting with a one-gallon kit (I went with Mr. Beer). That way you can see if you are really into brewing without much investment (50 dollars with one recipe kit from Northern Brewer)....otherwise, you have to add more money for a proper brew kettle (more wort means a larger pot...I currently just use a regular kitchen pot because I only brew in small batches).

The beauty of the one-gallon is after you upgrade, you can still use it to experiment and then if it works, you can scale-up the recipe. Also, you can use it for a small mead batch. James Spencer of Basic Brewing uses this method when he does not want to brew a full-batch. I recommend his videos as they are highly informative.

If you go with the one-gallon, it's cheaper if you make it yourself with a one-gallon jug and a stopper with airlock. Then you can ask the local homebrew which recipe they would recommend for you.

Back