Apple Wine Spices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codyfree

Reaction score
Just pitched yeast for an apple wine.

5- 12oz Cans of 100% Apple Juice concentrate
1/2 tsp of: yeast energizer and pectin enzime
1 tablet (crushed) of yeast nutrient
Water to slightly under a gallon
Lavlin EC-1118 yeast

Sp- 1.1
Projected alcohol- just under 15%
I would like to make it into a cinnamon/ Christmas wine. Any ideas on secondary spices.

Could you all maybe give me some measurments. I wanna use cinnamon and other whole spices

5- 12oz Cans of 100% Apple Juice concentrate
1/2 tsp of: yeast energizer and pectin enzime
1 tablet (crushed) of yeast nutrient
Water to slightly under a gallon
Lavlin EC-1118 yeast

Sp- 1.1
Projected alcohol- just under 15%
I would like to make it into a cinnamon/ Christmas wine. Any ideas on secondary spices?
I will be using whole spices, so give me measurment ideas (i know they wont be exact) and methods of adding spices

I don't measure much of anything on seasonings, done to my taste.

Look in the baking aisle for the spices. Look for Apple Pie Spice. It is everything you need in one jar. That will keep you from buying multiple jars. I use this for my apple pie wine.

What is your concentrate's ratio? 3 cans water to one can concentrate?

At normal concentration, without added sugar, AJ will produce about around 6% ABV.

Im not sure. I added the concentrate and watered to where the carboy funnels in. So its probly 3/4 gallon. I measured the sp to be 1.1, and figured that would be plenty.

You won't need much for a 1 gallon batch. Less is more in this case. I would guess 1-2 tsp (not tbsp) would probably be plenty. 2 tsp may even be too much. It depends partly on the exact spices used. If you accidentally add too much, there's no going back, but you can always steep more spices if you don't get the desired flavor the first round. Err on the side of caution.

What I do: Boil 0.5-1 cup water, cool to about 180, then steep the spices in the water for about 10 minutes, covered (letting temp drop on its own over the course). Making a tea will make the best use of the spices - especially the insoluble portions. After ten minutes, continue cooling to close to room temp, and add the spice tea to the secondary container. Rack on top of it.

Im not sure. I added the concentrate and watered to where the carboy funnels in. So its probly 3/4 gallon. I measured the sp to be 1.1, and figured that would be plenty.

No, I mean what does it say on the can's instructions?

Back