Apocalyptic Liquor Supply - seriously

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrybrewer

Reaction score
I just read Alas Babylon, great book.

What would be the best kind of liquor to keep around in case of a large scale emergency or natural disaster? I plan to buy a case or two. The main purpose being to trade for stuff I need in the event things get real bad. I don't enjoy hard alcohol myself and don't know much about it. Figured you guys would have some good suggestions.

I'm looking for a few attributes:
Stable for long time if kept in closet at home
Medicinal value
Economical
Widely known (nothing too exotic)

Ammo, coffee, salt and soap are on the list too.

Whiskey= can be used for analgesia and minor surgery
Vodka= same as above but can also be used for disinfectant
Buy some copper and a book on how to grow potatoes and a book on how to build a still

+1 on vodka. Very versatile drink, as it's basically just ethanol and water. Can be used for medicinal preperations (cough syrup, etc) without adding ass taste (ie: tequila). I've never read the book, but if you're talking about things getting bad as in the end of the world as we know it (TEOTWAWKI), you'll want to add a gravity or manual fed water filter to the coffee/ammo/soap list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not going to answer you question, but your OP reminded me of a guy I know who would never bring any food when he went on long hikes/camping. He just filled his backpack with martini ingredients and good cigars. He'd just find the camp cooking up the good meat or sausages and say "wanna trade?"

All I'd want is a bottle-conditioned beer so I have a yeast starter. I would protect that bottle at all costs, and use it to re-start my homebrew operations once everything chills out.

All I'd want is a bottle-conditioned beer so I have a yeast starter. I would protect that bottle at all costs, and use it to re-start my homebrew operations once everything chills out.

my personal favorite so far, cracked me up... all I can picture this golem-esque figure, crouched in the corner of a dusty bomb shelter with a box of matches, a 12 gauge, and a bomber of homebrew.... "My presciousssssss."

LORD OF THE YEAST

my personal favorite so far, cracked me up... all I can picture this golem-esque figure, crouched in the corner of a dusty bomb shelter with a box of matches, a 12 gauge, and a bomber of homebrew.... "My presciousssssss."

LORD OF THE YEAST

LOL! Hilarious. +1 vodka.

Assuming I'm not still hunkered down in a bomb shelter somewhere, I'd be willing to make anything out of anything I could find. You say "Alas, Babylon." I say "Alas, Babylon booze ingredients." Hell, even if I were in a bomb shelter I'm sure I could whip up some prison hooch somehow.

I saw a recipe for prison hooch on Reno 911 that involved grape juice and a garbage bag. Real choice vintage there!

Get a pressure cooker that you can convert into a still. Endless supply!

edit: it took me a whole 3 seconds after posting that to realize there wouldn't be electricity..

Not sure where it is available, but I used to buy it in South Dakota ( could not get in Minnesota) But "Everclear" is the business. It's 190 Proof, and can be diluted down to any strength and made into any type of alcohol you like (except wine or beer)

x2 for Everclear. Not only carries the properties of vodka, but it makes the best combustible material for Molotov cocktails when those zombies come-a-knockin'.

Yes, Everclear FTW! You should be careful using molotovs on zombies though, because they don't die immediately, and now you've got flaming zombies coming after you. My source:
Zombiesurvivalguide.jpg

Yes, Everclear FTW! You should be careful using molotovs on zombies though, because they don't die immediately, and now you've got flaming zombies coming after you. My source:
View attachment 18137

One of the best books in preparation for the eventual zombie infestation and invasion. +1 on no flame on zombies they have no pain receptors and need no oxygen to live therefore it will take quite awhile to kill them with fire. Claymores, MOGAS bombs, and other goodies can and will kill them and slow them down enough to take them out with small arms.

Back