Apfelwein in Mr. Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GloHoppa

Reaction score
I just found the Apfelwein Recipe here and am wondering what I would cut in half in order to make it with my (now empty:ban: ) Mr Beer mini keg since it only holds about 2.5 gal

I have heard so many good things about the apfelwein I need to try it:rockin:

You won't be dissapointed. If it's going to be 2.5 gallons just use 1lb of corn sugar. Make sure you leave a little space.

Cut the juice in half, and the dextrose and still use the same amount of yeast. You actually probably only want to fill the Mr. Beer to that line on the back which is about 8.5 quarts. Just cut back the dextrose a bit more.

A Mr. Beer only holds 2.5 gal if it is completely full.

oh yeah, make sure you reply to the how many gallons of apfelwein have been made thread when you're done.

thanks for pointing out the yeast part McKBrew.

Funny. I thought about the same thing yesterday. It's gathering dust in a closet. Why not use it as a mini fermenter to try things out in.

Great minds think alike I guess.

ho-ly crap. i posted this like 25 mins ago and already got 5 replies...

don't you guys have jobs ;)

GloHoppa said:
ho-ly crap. i posted this like 25 mins ago and already got 5 replies...

don't you guys have jobs ;)

out of 16,000 members 5 replies in 30 minutes...That's not out of control. Probably only 200 active right now :cross:

well im definitely going to make this at some point this week, however i have one question...

I am moving back to school on fri or sat but want to get going on this tonight or tomorrow. my question is should i hold off on prepping this bad boy until I get back to school since jostling it around is going to create bubbles/aeration which like brewing beer is bad news after pitching?

Yeah, it'll be a PITA trying to move a fermenting beer/cider. I'd recommend waiting.

Some people ferment apfelwine by the gallon, they buy a gallon of apple juice, pour out about a cup, add 8 oz of corn sugar and the yeast then shake the bejesus out of it. You take a drill and drill a hole in the cap then insert an airlock into the hole in the cap. This way you can make apfelwine in the one gallon container the juice comes in and make more beer in your mr beer keg.

Donasay said:
Some people ferment apfelwine by the gallon, they buy a gallon of apple juice, pour out about a cup, add 8 oz of corn sugar and the yeast then shake the bejesus out of it. You take a drill and drill a hole in the cap then insert an airlock into the hole in the cap. This way you can make apfelwine in the one gallon container the juice comes in and make more beer in your mr beer keg.

I have a real brewing setup, so my mr beer kegs are just sitting around.

Im going to give this a try as soon as I bottle the beer thats in my Mr Beer - probably this weekend.

I'm going to be doing the same thing with mine tomorrow. I'm also going to make some mead in my spare Mr. Beer keg. The Mr Beer kegs really only hold 2 gallons. It is 2.5 if it is filled to the brim, I believe. I'm glad I held on to both of them. I also got some glass jug apple juice to experiment with as well. My LHBS has smaller carboy caps where you hook up the airlock, so I'm hoping that will work as well.

GloHoppa, I'd wait if I were you. Your extra three days really wouldn't make much difference. I think it should be fine if it splashes a bit- a little aeration early on I think would be fine- but it would be a big pain, like McK said and probably not worth the hassle.

I have a question. Since Mr Beer kegs don't come fitted with airlocks, should the current setup be sufficient for brewing apfelwine and mead? Or should I drill some holes and make an airlock? CO2 escapes with their configuration but it technically isn't an airlock.

Steiner said:
I'm going to be doing the same thing with mine tomorrow. I'm also going to make some mead in my spare Mr. Beer keg. The Mr Beer kegs really only hold 2 gallons. It is 2.5 if it is filled to the brim, I believe. I'm glad I held on to both of them. I also got some glass jug apple juice to experiment with as well. My LHBS has smaller carboy caps where you hook up the airlock, so I'm hoping that will work as well.

GloHoppa, I'd wait if I were you. Your extra three days really wouldn't make much difference. I think it should be fine if it splashes a bit- a little aeration early on I think would be fine- but it would be a big pain, like McK said and probably not worth the hassle.

I have a question. Since Mr Beer kegs don't come fitted with airlocks, should the current setup be sufficient for brewing apfelwine and mead? Or should I drill some holes and make an airlock? CO2 escapes with their configuration but it technically isn't an airlock.

Yeah I was wondering the same thing myself...The original Mr Beer's had a traditional airlock setup, I understand...then they went to the stupid notch thingy. But I would assume if we can ferment beer in one we should be able to do anything else with it as well.

Revvy said:
But I would assume if we can ferment beer in one we should be able to do anything else with it as well.

+1 i think youre right with that, notches should be fine since my WCPA was brewed fine

I thought the mr beer keg only held 2 gallons?

My Mr. Beer only holds 1.5 gallons, but here's my Apfelwein started on December 31...

IMG_0615.jpg

wow i like the old school mr. beer setup much better.....the new keg shape is clunky and annoying to clean. AND is missing the airlock because they went to the cheaper notch design.

I've been wondering about the difference, but i'm going to give it a go this weekend anyway. and see how it comes out in a few months.

I tried a couple of ounces of the apfelwein out of the Mr Beer the other day after about a week of fermenting. Its definately booze, and it was pretty good after only a week. I like how the Mr Beer keg has the tap in it, it makes it really easy to sample only a shot or so of whatevers inside.

OK, I'm super new to brewing, and tend to mess up with recipes in general (cooking, etc) so I want to start off real slow and easy. I'm on my third batch of Mr.Beer, and I would like to expand a bit, with super-easy stuff. This is why I love that set-up above.

Now: Dextrose, check; gallon of juice, check; airlock, check; (drill, check); bread yeast, check...

I have read that bread yeast works fine for mead. Can I use regular yeast for apfelwein as well, or should I take the long-haul to the not-so-local brew store for wine yeast? How much yeast do I want to use?

Thanks for your help in advance!

I've had buddies in college use just regular bread yeast, or whatever you can buy at the store, with decent results. Wasn't the greatest brew, but it def made alcohol from apple juice.

On the other hand if you are going out that way, you will notice a DEFINITE increase in quality from using a cider, or wine yeast.

On a related note, mine has been in my mr beer for 2 weeks now. starting to clear up a bit. Used literally half the recipe, boiled a cinnamon stick in the apple juice for about ten or 15mins and added. the aroma from the mr beer (after the sulfur smell faded) is f-ing excellent. Looking forward to bottling in a few weeks. My plan is to bottle halfway between the pitch date, and my birthday (end of may). Should be about 6 weeks in primary, and 6 in bottle.

thats an awesome idea! I've been wantintg to try apfelwein but havent wanted to tie up a fermentor or be stuck with 5 gallons if I didn't like it. Would you still pitch a whole packet of yeast for a 1 gallon batch?

So, the Apfelwein is my second ever brew, and it's scheduled to go into the bottles on Thursday.

Should I use carbonation tabs and keep things simple?

I tried a couple of ounces of the apfelwein out of the Mr Beer the other day after about a week of fermenting. Its definately booze, and it was pretty good after only a week. I like how the Mr Beer keg has the tap in it, it makes it really easy to sample only a shot or so of whatevers inside.

It stays that way. I have some kicking around that is about 3 years old and it still tastes boozy. I'd recommend grabbing some cider this fall from a farmers market, and I think you'll be vastly impressed at how much better it tastes over the whole apple juice and sugar thing.

So is there an exact recipe and process for doing this in the Mr. Beer keg? I want to try this asap!! Thanks

I would just fill it most of the way with juice, add six or so ounces of sugar and a third of a packet of yeast.

It stays that way. I have some kicking around that is about 3 years old and it still tastes boozy. I'd recommend grabbing some cider this fall from a farmers market, and I think you'll be vastly impressed at how much better it tastes over the whole apple juice and sugar thing.

Boozy? I wouldn't say so. I use the Montrachet wine yeast that EdWort specified in his recipe and its amazing. I do not notice boozy in the least. It tastes like a dry, tart appley wine. Which is what it is. Apple wine. I have to keep it on tap or else the villagers rebel.

where is the oiginal recipe for this. i think after my two beers ferment i'll give this a try for the wife. thanks

Back