Anything fancy about drilling Alum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoNothing

Reaction score
I just got all my bargainfittings parts in today and Im going to be putting them on my boil kettle when I get out of work here.

Is there anything special about drilling into my aluminum boil kettle vs stainless steel? All the instructions I read online are for SS, Im assuming no difference, but I know you guys know best!

If by special you mean easier then yeah. Just use a little dish soap as a lubricant and your bit will fly right through it.

Stainless is a different animal, there is a graveyard of drills and step-bits where I work form stainless. Pain in the @ss.

Step bit is great, and cutting oil is better (IMHO) than dish soap.

Any which way, I'd prefer to cut Al over stainless ANY day! Like cutting butter ;-)

About the only thing I can add to what others have said is..........Be aware of the amount of pressure you use on the drill. Alum will dent pretty easy. It can also hang up on a burr and dent due to the torque of the drill motor.

Good luck.

as a general rule SS drilling requires slow rpm and more force , while aluminum requires high rpm drill speed with lighter force / pressure.In this specific case I`d go with some lube as others have suggested since you`re making a large hole.

Back