Anyone used a spiral spray nozzle to vorlauf

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattd2

Reaction score
Has anyone used a spiral spray nozzle like the one below when pumping the wort back into the MLT during recircluation to vorlauf?
I'm going to get one to try, I don't expect to get the same sort of spray as below with a small pump but if it gives some sort of decent spread it might be worth it (they are only ~US$10 on ebay), plus they apparently won't clog easily.
So anyone else tried one?
20118814371095896.jpg
spiral-nozzle.jpg

I'm no engineer but I don't think you will get that same spray pattern at the pressure from a brew pump.

I agree, and I'm kind of hoping I wouldn't anyway because I would want a gentle splashing rather than an actual spray.
I'll try get a video up once I get it all set up :D
Also found this video - The nozzle he is using is a 3/8" 170° - I am looking at getting a 1/2" 90° spray nozzle
www.youtube.com/embed/MK19lmM_ibs

Does hot-side aeration become a concern with something like that?

I would not be pumping it through enough to get a strong spray going, just a gentle trickle back on top of the mash. HSA seems to not be an issue at a homebrew level as far as I have read. Cheers

I was looking for feed back on the same tip wasn't sure how it would work I will be very interested in seeing that video

I was looking for feed back on the same tip. I would be interested in seeing the video of it in action.

Finally got the new nozzle on and time to brew. I think it worked well.
[ame]http://youtu.be/JOHH1ZmJQFg[/ame]

Was meaning to say, if anyone wants to correct my prenouciation of brewing terms feel free :D

Interesting Idea,

off topic would love to visit kiwi land, but is so damn far from Texas

Thanks, if you do ever get over to this part of the world be sure to check out the Bay of Plenty :D

Nice Idea! You say that you batch sparge and it obviously works good for that; but if you wanted to fly sparge, would you just mount it higher? Maybe silver solder the fitting into the top of your kettle for a more permanent solution?

Great job :mug:!

Nice Idea! You say that you batch sparge and it obviously works good for that; but if you wanted to fly sparge, would you just mount it higher? Maybe silver solder the fitting into the top of your kettle for a more permanent solution?

Great job :mug:!

I don't know how well it would work for fly sparging, at the throttled back flowrate (second video) it did dig a bit of a crater into the top of the mash - but when it was wide open (second runnings - didn't take any video sorry) it was fine. Only issue with that is the flowrate would probably be much more than the typical fly sparge rate.
But (another one!) my pump is oversized really. so it might be the fact that I had to choke it back so much that the pressure at the nozzle was not enough to get a good "spray". A smaller pump might get the required flow at a higher pressure as it wouldn't need to be throttled back as much at the ball valve... long story for - I don't know really :eek:!
I have a mate that also got one, he has a smaller pump and will have his up and running this month I think. I'll post his feedback too.
Cheers!

Just had another thought - maybe getting a 3/8" or 1/4" nozzle would be a good way to go? but again I don't know really :eek:!

:off: Anyone got any comments on my video skills, I thinking of starting to do some Homebrew Wednesday YouTube videos :D

:off: Anyone got any comments on my video skills, I thinking of starting to do some Homebrew Wednesday YouTube videos :D

Don't hand hold the camera and get a clip-on mic if possible.

I can't say how many videos I can't watch on YouTube because of the camera shake making me nauseous. Even though you might have an image stabilized camera, there's still shake. Tripod.

Don't hand hold the camera and get a clip-on mic if possible.

I can't say how many videos I can't watch on YouTube because of the camera shake making me nauseous. Even though you might have an image stabilized camera, there's still shake. Tripod.

Thanks for the advice - I was using my phone for these videos as it was on hand ready to go - I have a video camera that would give better video but the battery wasn't charged.
I don't have a tripod but should be able to position the camera on a solid surface.
Will look into the clip on mic as I guess that would be good for picking up voice when I videoing things other than myself :D
Cheers :mug:

Here's an example of a well-produced, amateur YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbjGjXVXqpw

He gets a little fancy with two cameras and some post-production stuff like music and graphics, but they are well done for an amateur.

Damn YouTube block at work! Will have to look at it tonight. Do you know of any good, free post production software. I have an old version of Sony Vegus that I have play around with for some home videos (just cropping videos and adding texts). Anything that can be used to create Intro graphics, etc. (might have to wait until after I finish 5+ years of backlog home videos though :()

Just managed to watch the video - didn't realise it was Craigtube, he's been round for years now hasn't he? I agree the fixed camera is a great pointer and the clip on mic really helps (was kind of weird that Craig's voice was still clear as day even when he had turned around and was looking behind him!)
Just thinking about some of the stuff I would want to video, I think a tripod would be needed - would make filming brewdays / equipment much less jerky (although sometimes I will need to handhold it).

Cheers again!

I didn't know that he's been around for a while. I just found his kegging videos cause I got a system for Xmas and they didn't make me nauseous.

I think a tripod would be money well invested. They can be had for $20-30 for a cheap one to start off with.

As far as post prod software, I can't say. I'm more of a still photo guy.

I didn't know that he's been around for a while. I just found his kegging videos cause I got a system for Xmas and they didn't make me nauseous.

I think a tripod would be money well invested. They can be had for $20-30 for a cheap one to start off with.

As far as post prod software, I can't say. I'm more of a still photo guy.

Thanks for your advice! (this has gone off topic somewhat :D)
For the handheld shooting I thought someone must have DIY'd a steadycam... turns out there are lots of them and one can be build pretty cheaply (~$30) which would give a bit more stability to any handheld shots.
Cheers again!

This got off topic, but I'd really like to see hear the input with a smaller pump. I was considering one of these for fly sparging....

This got off topic, but I'd really like to see hear the input with a smaller pump. I was considering one of these for fly sparging....

looking at the pump curves I think you would see a similar spray - I would advise going with a smaller one though, possibly 3/8" or 1/4" to give you more pressure drop at the nozzle and require less throttling at the pump to get you the right flow.

To be honest (and I should have updated this sooner) I have stopped using the spray nozzle for recirc / sparge. I am using it while pumping to the fermentor to aerate the wort though. Maybe a smaller model would work better on the sparge

I've used this in only one brew-day so far, so limited experience. For my system, I had to dial back the re-circulation flow rate quite a bit to balance with the flow out. So, it became essentially a trickle rather than the cone spray pattern you get at higher rates. That said, since it is such a thin mash in my biab system, it is just trickling down on an inch of water so not really a big deal affecting grain bed. Hope this helps.

Back