Anyone Use Lysol Food Surface Sanitizer When Brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zythos

Reaction score
Recently at the supermarket I ran across a product from Lysol that sanitizes food surfaces. The product comes in a 22 FL OZ spray bottle. At the end of the directions it says "Do Not Rinse" and it is for use on food preparation surfaces. It also says it only needs to stand for 60 seconds. This product is also bleach free, color free, and fragrance free.

I was wondering if anyone has used it and/or found it effective.

The product contains the following ingredients:

Octyl decyl dimethyl ammonium chloride..... 0.0060%
Dioctyl dimethyl ammonium chloride ..... 0.0024%
Didecyl dimethyl ammonium chloride ...... 0.0036%
Alkyl (50% C14, 40% C12, 10% C16) dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride... 0.0080%
OTHER INGREDIENTS 99.9800%

I have not tried it. How much does that cost?

I use Star San. I mix it up 5 gallons at a time, which stays good for 2 months, probably longer. A 32-oz bottle costs about $15 at MoreBeer.com. So, if I make 6 batches a year its only costing me about $3/year. Cheap, easy, and proven effective. I don't see any reason to switch.

It cost about $3.50 for the bottle. It's a quite a bit more expensive compared to Star San. I was just wondering because I don't really have a LHBS in my area. It would be quite a long drive to get to the nearest LBHS (about an hour and a half). I could order from the internet easily but I just thought it would be convenient if this stuff worked.

Here is a link to the product.
http://www.lysol.com/chef/index.shtml

food prep isn't the same as 'brewing beer' though.

I'd buy the big bottle of star san online, and use it for the next two years. its about $13 for a couple hundred gallons...AND you can actually drink the stuff.

Took all your advice, just ordered the bottle of star san from morebeer.com along with a few other things. I just wondered if anybody had used the lysol but seeing as nobody seemed to know much about it, I'm not gonna be the first person to ruin a batch of perfectly good brew trying it.

I found it in a gallon concentrate at smart and final. At about a tbsp per gallon of sanitizer, it is going to last a long time. It works great! It is rated for use in dairies, so it is good enough for brewing.

Back