anyone use a stainless screen as replacement for hop sack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
I have used the cloth hop sacks for whole hops in the boil kettle, as well as adding aromatics to the carboy. I have had difficulty getting pulpy stuff like shredded ginger and raisins in and out of the narrow carboy neck.

I was thinking of getting a piece of fine-weave stainless screen, and rolling it up into a cylinder (~1" diameter, 18" long), to use as a dry-hopping vessel. Then I could just fish it out when done. Also would be more durable than cloth bags. Has anyone made something like this? Do homebrew supply places sell this already?

There's at least one extensive thread here from around a year or so ago where this was done. IIRC the OP made collars for the top and bottom by cutting them out of small stainless containers he picked up for relatively small money, then formed a tube with a bottom using a sheet of stainless mesh bought from McMaster-Carr, and then riveted the whole thing together. Finally, he added three stainless all-thread supports and he was in business.

Damned if I can find the thread though...

Cheers!

[edit] Perseverance pays off a little bit: here's a pertinent thread...

Back