Anyone rocking a Firkin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you measure beer in gallons and you don’t think 40 gallons is alot of beer - you might be a homebrewer.

Another Freudian slip there perhaps bwbible?!? 40 gallons or 40 pints?!? :)

But considering my bitters and milds are typically less than 4.2%, a 19.25ounce pint a day is moderate consumption! ;)

Another Freudian slip there perhaps bwbible?!? 40 gallons or 40 pints?!? :)

But considering my bitters and milds are typically less than 4.2%, a 19.25ounce pint a day is moderate consumption! ;)
That wasn’t aimed at you, it’s a fun saying I used to have in my script, ala Jeff Foxworthy. This kind of thing comes up often.

And I’m drinking just as much or more. No judgement.

I like the creativity in finding ways to do cask ale with cronies - where there’s a will there’s a way! With the shorter shelf life it can be tough to work through that much real ale. I have a handful of 20oz imperial pint glasses that I’ll have a couple of in a nice evening. It’s still only 2 beers.....right?

You certainly can hook it up to beer engine or hand pump, but there is a cool factor in setting your cask out on its little stand at a party and then pounding the tap in with a mallet and letting everyone come up and serve themselves with the gravity fed tap. It feels authentic and old school for folks and adds fun to the event.

wish i had friends most are Morman. I try not to drink in front of them for respect. maybe one day someone will move in and i will have lots to share.

I like the creativity in finding ways to do cask ale with cronies - where there’s a will there’s a way! With the shorter shelf life it can be tough to work through that much real ale. I have a handful of 20oz imperial pint glasses that I’ll have a couple of in a nice evening. It’s still only 2 beers.....right?

we only count beers by how many containers not the amount.

wish i had friends most are Morman. I try not to drink in front of them for respect. maybe one day someone will move in and i will have lots to share.
There are quite a few Mormons in this part of the world. The standing joke is: Q: How do you keep a Mormon from drinking all the beer at your party? A: Invite another Mormon. ;)

Beer engines here in Australia are astronomically expensive and not easy to find. Occasionally I’ll borrow the brew clubs engine and use my 5 litre keg to do a mild or bitter. I keep it sub 3.5% and grab some Stilton. It’s a great Sunday afternoon.

I also cheat and have a nitro setup. Not the same at all but a lot less fuss and I enjoy it as well.

Some great ideas here!

I was thinking of getting a 2.5 gal corny because it would fit on the hump in my keezer, and this sounds like a great use for that. What the heck is a beer engine anyway. I have heard this term but have no idea what it does. Thanks :mug:

A beer engine is basically a hand powered pump that draws beer from a cask. It’s the traditional way cask ale is served in the UK.
170CAB36-5349-4006-BAA6-C81C06415406.jpeg

i had a thought on my way to work today.

what if you use nitro to push the keg at a low psi? it would be a lot like mead being served off a keg.

oh and also a floating dip tube would also work as well this way using the gas post or w/e isn't needed.

i had a thought on my way to work today.

what if you use nitro to push the keg at a low psi? it would be a lot like mead being served off a keg.

oh and also a floating dip tube would also work as well this way using the gas post or w/e isn't needed.
My understanding is that serving beers on nitro originally came about to mimic the features of cask conditioned ales - it’s not exactly the same but it’s pretty close so you could definitely do that

My understanding is that serving beers on nitro originally came about to mimic the features of cask conditioned ales - it’s not exactly the same but it’s pretty close so you could definitely do that

Very interesting. Is a stout style tap required or just pushing the beer at low PSI all thats needed?

You need a stout nozzle. I use disposable nitro bottles and a nukatap with an interchangeable stout nozzle. I can use the same tap with normal beers and then when I keg a bitter or stout, screw in the stout nozzle. I carb with cO2 as normal then switch to nitro to serve. It’s not as good as a beer engine imho but it’s a lot easier and the beer is in a keg in the fridge so it will last a lot longer

I mistakenly purchased a used firkin via eBay last year. The listing described it as a "used 10 gallon keg" and there was only one left of the 5 they had received, price was $40ish so was hard to pass up. It wasn't until I got there that I realized it was a used firkin from Karbach when I saw the bung hole. Probably will never rack any beer into it and it'll be turned into some decorative piece in the house as Karbach was a brewery I enjoyed when I was in Houston many years ago.

Heck if you’ve got one why not give it a go? Once the world returns to normal brew a nice 10.8 gallon batch and have a nice party!

You need a stout nozzle. I use disposable nitro bottles and a nukatap with an interchangeable stout nozzle. I can use the same tap with normal beers and then when I keg a bitter or stout, screw in the stout nozzle. I carb with cO2 as normal then switch to nitro to serve. It’s not as good as a beer engine imho but it’s a lot easier and the beer is in a keg in the fridge so it will last a lot longer

do you use a nitro regulator? i had no idea disposable nitro bottles existed

I mistakenly purchased a used firkin via eBay last year. The listing described it as a "used 10 gallon keg" and there was only one left of the 5 they had received, price was $40ish so was hard to pass up. It wasn't until I got there that I realized it was a used firkin from Karbach when I saw the bung hole. Probably will never rack any beer into it and it'll be turned into some decorative piece in the house as Karbach was a brewery I enjoyed when I was in Houston many years ago.

that's a neat idea.

do you use a nitro regulator? i had no idea disposable nitro bottles existed
Yes sorry, when I bought the bottles I hit the regulator as well. It’s fairly cheap to setup. I did it to see if I liked it, planning to just rent a full sized nitrogen bottle if I liked it. But just using the disposable bottles is working fine. I do a nitro batch every 3rd batch so it lasts fine.

You can rent a nitrogen tank? I figured like CO2 you had to do a tank trade in or get it filled.

Why not just get beer gas (nitro/CO2 mix)? my understanding is that you can use a CO2 tank and CO2 regulator. Now that I have some extra tanks, I might have to try beer gas to dispense. Recall refill wasn't that much more than CO2.

You can rent a nitrogen tank? I figured like CO2 you had to do a tank trade in or get it filled.

Why not just get beer gas (nitro/CO2 mix)? my understanding is that you can use a CO2 tank and CO2 regulator. Now that I have some extra tanks, I might have to try beer gas to dispense. Recall refill wasn't that much more than CO2.
In Australia the only size nitro/Co2 to rent it seems is a full size one. Many years worth of gas and it’s quite expensive. The way I do it is pretty cheap and easy to do. If all I drank was nitro beers, it would be worth it, but how I do it is easy for me.

Back