anyone poisoned themselves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulielow

Reaction score
I made a cider in its original plastic bottle about a month ago with juice, sultanas, brown sugar and bakers yeast. I didn't really intend to drink it as the airlock wasn't secure and I saw no bubbles so I assume there was an air leak and it smells like appley bread. But I'm just wondering if I did drink it will I end up with food poisoning or are there just to many variables to get a solid answer.

Cheers.

I've made cider with bakers yeast before and it took about 3 to 4 months before the bread taste went away...as far as it being poisonous it is highly doubtfull...the c02 discharge should keep out any infection even with an airleak...and if there is no film or layer than most likely the possibly unsecured airlock still allowed the cider to keep a limited c02 blanket keeping out an infection...it it did indeed catch a (cold) then most likely it would taste like vinegar and u would know it

Only poisoning I see one could get without knowingly doing it (drinking something that tasted bad) would be alcohol poisoning just by drinking so much because it is that delicious.

Personally, I think bread yeast should be left to making bread, but to each their own.

Only poisoning I see one could get without knowingly doing it (drinking something that tasted bad) would be alcohol poisoning just by drinking so much because it is that delicious.

Personally, I think bread yeast should be left to making bread, but to each their own.

Bread yeast was all I had at the time and I hadn't really intended to drink it, it was one of those "I'm bored and want to ferment something" kinda days. But now I'm interested in seeing how it turned out, I'm not a cheap ass trying to make bathtub brews either I was just bored.....

I'd say pour yourself a glass then. It's still green (young) so there might be very little apple flavor, if any at all. Most people let them age for 6 months to a year before drinking. I'd transfer it to glass for the aging process if possible or drink it young. Plastics will leech chemicals into the cider if in there too long.

If you do drink it now, I would rack it once into a new container and then cold crash in the fridge for a few days to get everything to settle down. Then bottoms up and let us know how it goes!

I've already cold crashed in the plastic bottle and transferred to glass bottle there on top of the fridge carbing atm. I'll give them a week or two there then in the fridge for a week, then ill probably convince one of my mates to try it and if he doesn't gag i'll give it a go :D

Latest posts

Back