Anyone making sake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillbillyDeluxe

Reaction score
Gonna make sake soon. Looked at some kits and recipes and ait sure where to go from here. (Condesending arrogant tone) I'm a killer beer brewer with tons of experience and always make great beer(bull****). I'm scared of this sake thing though, seems like a high maintenance endeavor. Anyone got advice?

I used to cook moonshine in college with a pot-still, it tasted exactly like sake, which means that I was a terrible shiner...now i just brew beer.
-Jefe-

Wow, I don't even like sake, and now I want to make it! Good site :cross:
I like wine, mainly just with food, but I like sake better than wine. Sake is traditionally only consumed with food and if it were more widely available in restaurants I'd get it a lot more often instead of wine (I can't drink beer with food...too much carbonation). Sake can be quite fruity even though there is no fruit...but there is no tannins coming along for the ride. To me it's a much 'cleaner' tasting beverage than most wine.

Dammit...now I'm hankerin' sushi and sake for dinner tonight.:rockin:

Simply put you need a Koji culture to create amazake (sweet fermented rice drink) which you can then ferment with a wine yeast to get your sake.

Seeing that the Koji kit is relatively cheap approx. $14 I might actually have to do this. Of course you need to buy the rice, but that's not much more than what $30? Looks like a future neat project.
I sure do love me a good old nigorishu (濁り酒).

I'll be trying it as soon as I have decent fermentation control. The Taylor site is great, there's even a checklist you can download with day by day instructions.

B

I'm glad you found it helpful, bad coffee. Spread the word! I'm still seeing a lot of sake threads on this forum that don't contain links to my guide...which is a real shame, because I don't always remember to look around on this forum and answer questions.

But I always answer questions that get e-mailed to me. :D

Back