Anyone making green beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conebone69

Reaction score
Is anyone here brewing green beer for St Patty's Day? I wasn't planning on it (have a Patersbier almost ready to be bottled). Kinda curious what I would need to do. Just green food coloring?

If you're dying the whole batch, I would either pull a small sample and see how many drops it takes to get it to your desired greeness and multiply by total volume, or whatever math thing you do:drunk:

I highly doubt spinach would do much for coloring :p

I remember a short time ago i found a thread of someone brewing a green beer for Patty's day. they put the coloring in the primary, and the pigment started to drop out of solution as the beer fermented, leaving the beer a grossly weird yellow-green color.

moral of the story? just put a drop of green dye in the glass before you pour. makes for a neat trick anyway; rather than pouring a straight up green beer you pour the beer in front of the drinker (the drop or 2 of dye on the bottom of the glass is usually not noticed, depending on the glass design) and they watch in amazement as it turns green in front of their eyes.

are you bottleing or kegging? i would just add it in the bottleing bucket with the priming sugar. stir it up without splashing. then it wouldn't loose its color. i think your thinking about it too much. i wouldnt do math. just add a little, if its not green enough then add a little more. its not like it needs to be an exact amount. just needs to be green.

SOILENT GREEN IS BEER!! Seriously,though,I'd just add a drop or two to the glass. A bar I used to go to after work used to dye the keg. Not a good idea at the bar,since all the cops had to do was look for green teeth when they pull someone over..

Talked to a friend of mine today that owns a bar in town and he said that he get Coors delivered in 1/2 bbl and they put the green die in it just before its delivered. Not sure the exact quantity of dye but it seems to work best with beers with little to no flavor or color, hence the Coors Light! Don't waste good homebrew by dying it green. Buy a case of Coors Light and add a drop or two of green food coloring b4 your pour into a pint glass.
HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!!!!

Back